John C's 1st grafting attempt

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
John C

John C's 1st grafting attempt

Post by John C »

Well, I had about 10 Sclerocactus brevihamatus seedlings, but suddenly I only had 2. So I figured I would attempt to graft them so I don't kill them too.

Is the green bottle going to be ok? If not I'll hurry and finish another bottle of coke. :wink:

Let's hope it works!!!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

Sure the green bottle is fine.
Watch for red and black soot/mold on that cereus stock. pluck the bottle off for circulation early of you start seeing it.
I find with pereskiopsis you dont really need pressure assistance. just press them on.
I know well the 10 down to 2 feeling. It's not fair!
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

Looking good :thumbright:
/Christer
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks!

Just to give you guys an update, the graft on the pereskiopsis appears to have taken! :D Both the grafted plant and the pereskiopsis are growing. I need to take that little pup off. The other graft hasn't changed, it hasnt grown, but it hasnt died. :?
"Where the West begins"
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

John C wrote:Thanks!

Just to give you guys an update, the graft on the pereskiopsis appears to have taken! :D Both the grafted plant and the pereskiopsis are growing. I need to take that little pup off. The other graft hasn't changed, it hasnt grown, but it hasnt died. :?
Well, I've also noticed that some stocks accept the graft much faster than others; and the fact that your seedling isn't dead yet probably means it's allright.
John C

Post by John C »

Just in case anyone is wondering, Both grafts have now failed :cry: First one that wasn't quite dead yet, died shortly after posting that, and the other seemed to start growing and then just died.

O well. I guess I'll just have to get more seeds and try from seed again this fall/winter.
"Where the West begins"
PapaBearJay

Post by PapaBearJay »

Poor guy.

I have a C. peruvianus that I cut up today, that I might be using as a grafting stalk come next spring if it makes it till then. We'll see how my storage closet treats it down in the basement, seeing as how my girlfriend says I can't keep it up here. As it's now laying in 5 pieces and I have no place to plant them.