Greenhouse build: day 2

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Bill in SC

Greenhouse build: day 2

Post by Bill in SC »

Here is the foundation with the base sitting on the railroad crossties, leveled, plumbed and squared.. Notice the 10 inch gaps in the crossties on the front and rear to provide a chimney effect for summer ventilation. I can plug these gaps for winter..
This procedure with the burying crossties, leveling and plumbing, and assembling and bolting the base plate on: 6 hours for two people

Bill in SC
Last edited by Bill in SC on Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Here is the four corners and top plate..
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I like this! Keep on posting your progress!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Here it is with the wall studs and braces installed. The roof, the sliding door, and a couple of horizontal braces are all that's left. Then, just put the panels in place and fasten them in with the installation clips. It should be completed by tomorrow's end, good Lord willing. The instructions are very vague so this is not exactly a "piece of cake". For example, there are places where you have several pieces that come together at the same spot. The instructions do not tell you whether the pieces go to the inside or outside. Consequently, some things were bolted together, only to be unbolted and changed around when it was figured out. This is just one example of the vagueness of the instructions. You better have some construction skills before you jump on one of these, or hire someone else to assemble it. This is not a project for your average "little 'ole lady" gardener, but rather for the handyman type..
This procedure, the corners, studs and bracing: about 6 hours for two people making a grand total thus far of 12 hours for two people..
Bill in SC
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Bill this is looking really good, looks as though you are on schedule! When you get back from the hip job, how about a trip to Northern Ireland (bringing a bargain greenhouse with you of course :wink:
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

LOL.. My nephew and I had discussed HAVE discussed buying these and constructing them on site as a turn key job for $1500, but Northen Ireland might be a stretch!! :lol:
Bill in SC
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Looking fantastic Bill :-D

One thing though, it looks like it bang in the middle of your garden?
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Looking good Bill. Can't wait to see the finished product.
What are you planning on using for the flooring?
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Wayne: I don't understand all the Brit terminology!! :lol: If you meant the dirt piled up in the center, that's just the dirt we removed when digging the footer for the rail ties. This is the spot my giant spool was in, and that's why no grass is there.
Bill: I plan to bring in a truckload of gravel for the floor. No worry of rot or anything else I can think of with gravel.. With the sliding doors opening as wide as they will, I will be able to really get things in and out of it with no forseeable problems..
Bill in SC
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Gravel sounds like it should work fine. Just thought maybe you were going to get extravagent and use marine grade plywood or something :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

That one looks a lot easier to build than my one, I guess it always does though. Looks like fun. Putting the glass in is the best part :lol:
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hehe sorry Bill, I mean it looks like your new greenhouse is right in the middle of your garden.

When you post "phase 3" gimme a picture of your whole garden!
JayJay04

Post by JayJay04 »

Wow, that looks really great, I might have a look on the internet at prices and where to buy one in Aus. 8)