Shelf Design for Green House

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Harriet

Shelf Design for Green House

Post by Harriet »

So, the crappy metal shelves in my crappy little Greenhouse are buckling under the weight of my not at all crappy plants. I need new shelves. I don't like what I see and my husband, who never learns, just volunteered to build some for me.

Any suggestions for design? I'm wondering what would be the best bet for the flat surfaces. Slats? Wire racks/mesh of some kind? I want two shelves per side of the GH, so I need something that won't shade the bottom shelf too much.

Any and all suggestions will be considered.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I've been very happy with slat benchtops. No water pooling, spacing can allow some light through and they are strong enough to not buckle.

I used 2x4's with 2ft spacing for support. I know your GH is small so you may want to use 2x3's or 2x2's with a little less spacing. The slats I used are 1.5 x 3/4 and cost about $1 each at Home Depot. 2x4/3/2's are about the same price each.
hob

Post by hob »

angled braces at all joins between shelves and uprights (legs) will make them much more sturdy and rigid

either metal or wood depending on what you use to build them

see image for detail
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.