Treatment of grafting stock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
taliesin

Treatment of grafting stock

Post by taliesin »

I have a crested Mammillaria (id'd by daiv) grafted onto a 10cm Hylocereus undatus (id'd by Buck). Reading up on the stock, I read that this will need to be shortened in time as the graft will get too heavy for it. Can anyone give me advice on this; such as how high to cut it back to and all the relevent info I will need. Also with this is a photo of what daiv thought were flowers, but are infact the off sets. Is it best to leave these on?

Thanks

someone pass me the tweezers!
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Taliesin, we will deal with the last point first. Any growth on a crested or monstrose cactus is normally removed as quickly as possible otherwise there is the ristk of the plant reverting back to its normal form.

Looking at your stock I would remove it virtually half way up. Leave the lower potted piece to throw offsets, (lots more grafting stock).

As soon as you slice the top half from the bottom I personally would 'chamfer' the cut area, very much like sharpening a pencil, but of course not to that degree, just a fine slice down at an angle where the ribs are. This help to stop shrinkage and also encourages roots to grow from the sides as well as the bottom.

Looking at your grafting stock I would say leave for at least a week, and then pot into dryish compost. The one you use to pot your plants should be fine. Give it a mist spray every couple of days or so and you should see signs of roots in two to three weeks.

If you are going to do it this year, do it now or it may be too late in the season.

John