Eagle Claw Duo

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hegar

Eagle Claw Duo

Post by hegar »

Hello everyone,
yesterday I had two Echinocactus horizonthalonius flower at once. While one produced a bigger blossom in light pink the other rewarded me with two flowers at the same time. Every once in a while there is also a mutation that flowers white, but I have not yet detected one in my plantings.

Harald

cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Wow! they are beautiful Harald, Congrats! They are my favourite Echinocactus, I'd be happy just to have a plant, let alone two that are in flower! I tried last year to grow from seed, and used sandpaper to wear away some of the hard seedcase before sowing, but still didn't get any germination. I'll be trying again this year.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi Harald:

Echino horizontalonius is one of my favorites, two weeks ago I took this picture, a 3 plant clump, with 5 flowers at the same time. I?ve never seen a white flowered one....sounds interesting.

Here is the link:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rizon1.jpg
Last edited by mavaz on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nice pictures Harald and Mavaz. Sure are some lovely flowers.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Mark

Post by Mark »

Beautiful Harald and Mavaz. I didn't know they were still flowering.

Mark
hegar

Post by hegar »

One of the cacti has already flowered twice this year and maybe it will do me the favor one more time. The Echinocereus reichenbachii also bloomed twice already, but the second flower looked a little "ratty". Maybe the weather was just too hot and the plant did not have the same reserves to bloom as beautifully as the first time around. Some of my plants that did flower last year have failed to do so and I do not expect them to "wake up" this year at all. Maybe they will still surprise me during the early part of fall.
Harald
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great stuff! I might have to get one of those now... :roll:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Amy

Post by Amy »

Those are real nice gems of the Echinocactus genus! It's nice to see these growing so happily.
----{--{@
Amy
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Little beauties both of you, what terrific blooms :)
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Beautiful Harald!! Love those magenta colored blooms!!
Bill in SC
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thanks for the compliments on my "cactus babies". I agree, they are nice to look at when they are flowering and you are around to see it. Because there is only a very small "window of opportunity" for that, I have stocked up on them and now own 13 plants, all rescued from local developers.
Harald
Mark

Post by Mark »

I had 3 but one didn't make it so now I have 2.

Mark
M.mestre

Post by M.mestre »

Real nice ones ,

Magenta flowers with a pele green body ,good contrast
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello everyone,
today I received three additional "eagle claw" (Echinocactus horizonthalonius) cacti, but I was not at all pleased! Somebody had brought these plants in for medicinal purposes and in the process "disarmed" them. I took an image of the two big plants, the larger one is a good four inches in diameter and almost 8 inches tall, while the other one is 5 inches wide and a bit over 5 inches high. The tallest one may already be rotting as there is some softness evident around the crown. The other two plants are still nice and firm and have the "wool" still in the crown. My question to you: Do you think, that the plants can still be salvaged and saved, i.e. will they grow, albeit with the damage being visible for the rest of their lives?
Harald
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ugh, that is a real shame! I think the plants would live for sure, but I don't think they'd ever look normal. One thing you could do is cut the top and then it will be forced to put out offsets. The offsets then could be started and grown as new plants with all the same exact "blood in their veins".
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti