Additional insulation for the winter season

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Ralf

Additional insulation for the winter season

Post by Ralf »

If you own a greenhouse in a colder climate is a additional insulation the best way to get lower costs for heating.
Therefor I do use 10 mm bubble wrap. I do this for many years and it works pretty good.
Now I took some pics to show you how easy it is to do.

The greenhouse before I start.

First I've affix the bubble wrap at the gable walls. They faces to south and north.

Now still two large pieces of bubble wrap and it's almost finish.

Now I close every overlapping parts with clear tape. So it cannot escape the warmth from inside and rainwater don't comes between the bubble wrap and the greenhouse. That's very important.

Now follow a last step but it isn't nessecary. I do cover the bubble wrap against the dirt in the air with a usual plastic wrap.
So you have a longer lifespan of the bubble wrap.

On this way you can save 10 to 20% of your heating costs.
I do the same from inside in a few weeks. Then can the winter comming.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
TimN

Post by TimN »

Wow, great idea! That should keep them warm and cozy!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great post!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thanks, guys.
Without this insulation I couldn't let my plants into the greenhouse during the winter.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.

Jens

Post by Jens »

I just did a similar thing from the inside of the GH. I also cover the norhern side and the lower parts of the glass areas with styro insulation that is fitted between the metallposts of the house from the inside.
Unfortunately I can´t do outside covering because it will probably get blown away with one of the winter storms.Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Neat to see your winter care too Jens. Good idea on the North side - No light coming in there anyway, so why not cover it with foam?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thats a awsome job you all did with the wrap for better insulation they will be some very happy plants in there. :D
Im gona use a solar pool cover, i hear it works real well and that more and more folks are using it compared to the bubble wrap. But then again with our winters im gona need the solar pool cover, bubble wrap and also a propane heater. :P
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Very cool idea! dont think I could do it though, just seeing that much bubble wrap is bringing back childhood memories and now I wana pop it all! :lol:
iann

Post by iann »

No popping until spring!

Do you guys use the special insulation bubble wrap, or just regular packing bubbles? The stuff designed for insulation has an extra layer of plastic so there is an air gap everywhere and not just where there is a bubble.
--ian
Jens

Post by Jens »

The stuff I use is three layered with a stronger flat film on both sides of the bubble -layer to trap the air for better insulation.
@barracuda 47: What exactly is a solar pool cover?- Is it used to keep swimming pools warm ? Can light get through?
Jens
iann

Post by iann »

Thanks. Solar pool covers are plastic sheets that float on the pool when it isn't being used. They are somewhat transparent and somewhat insulated, but probably the most important thing they do is just stop the water evaporating. Water loses a huge amount of heat (and quite a bit of water!) when it evaporates, which is why people sweat and why you feel colder when you're wet. They keep dirt out too :)
--ian
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Iann, I do use the same wrap like Jens. This wrap is special for insulating of greenhouses.
It will very often used by nurseries to reduce their energy costs.
Here you will find one of a dozen stores that sells it. (In English of course :wink: )

Jens

Post by Jens »

Thanks Ian
Do the solar pool covers trap heat on one side too?
I was thinking if it would fit my northern side instead of the foam sheets so at least a little light would get through.
J.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Yes the solar pool covers do come in clear and also diffrent thicknesses.

Heres a link to some threads about solar pool covers for GH's, some are old but it helps ya get a idea of what im talking about, just pan down and click which ever thread ya want to read.. Im deffinately going with a solar pool cover for my GH next winter.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph- ... e&x=13&y=3
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Jens

Post by Jens »

Very interesting link, thanks *Barracuda_47*
J.