gymno seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
prickly

gymno seeds

Post by prickly »

we have just harvested some gymnocalycium baldianum seeds and was wondering when to sow them,would they wait till next year :?: if not would they be ok over winter if we sowed them now :?:

cheers in advance
mick
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mick, most cacti seed will keep very well, in fact the germination rate of some improves with age. A few species need to be sown while they are fresh, but I have never had any problem keeping Gymno seed.

Regarding sowing them now. If you have a propagator you could try them as long as you can give them a little heat during the winter. However day length, (hours of good daylight. Is there such a thing in our winters) particularly in English winters is also a major problem. If you were sowing lots of seed and providing heat and light (artificial) it would not be a problem but to go to those lengths for a single sowing of seed is costly and probably not worth it. I would wait till spring 2007.

John
prickly

Post by prickly »

cheers john,we have decided its better to sow them in 2007,they are nice and safe now :D

thanks for the advice,a mine of information...you should write a book :)
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Very good reply John!! Fraileana castanae seeds like to be sowed fresh. I learned that on the forums.. I wish someone would compile a list of that info for cactus species... Interesting topic. Thanks prickly!
Bill in SC