Demographic Poll

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.

I am:

female, under 20 years old
4%
male, under 20 years old
12%
female, 20-29 years old
7%
male, 20-29 years old
16%
female, 30-39 years old
6%
male, 30-39 years old
19%
female, 40-49 years old
3%
male, 40-49 years old
12%
female, 50-59 years old
4%
male, 50-59 years old
9%
female, 60-69 years old
1%
male, 60-69 years old
7%
female, over 70 years old
No votes
male, over 70 years old
1%

Total votes: 380
majcka

Re: Demographic Poll

Post by majcka »

I started collecting last year. I had some cacti before, some of them had fake flowers ( #-o ), some of them weren't even cacti (the were indeed hawortias and aloas - #-o )
But last year (end of April) I take my mother-in-law to buy some balcony plants and there were just sitting some cacti. I bought 3 of them and ask the seller what they are. Of course she didn't know. Angry with her not knowing that I searched through the web and find that nursery where I still buying. Went there at the same moment and bought some more. The rest was just the flow. I was hooked. Now I'm here with withdrawal syndrome when the forum brokes.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Arjen

Post by Arjen »

well I don't know how it is for everyone else but there's a gap of 20-30 years between me and the other members of our local cactus club, I'm 33 by the way
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol I am one of the majority. The 30-39 year old crowd.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I'm on word patrol today PTCG -- you are part of a plurality not a majority. The majority that you are a part of however, is males of all age groups.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

maybe, but if you look at the numbers, and make note I HATE math, I am in the largest segment of Cactiguide's groups, however reality might be totally different if most users don't fill out the poll.
For all we know the largest group might be another. And who knows.. maybe there are more women on this site.. that just don't want to give out there age 8)

BTW I might mention that I never too statistics. I was too stupid at math to get far enough to make it to that class. Anyways when WILL I ever need to know how to solve a quadratic equation in the real world? It sure doesn't help me figure anything meaningful in my life so ? :)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

PTCG, if you do that math that you hate so much and recalcuate the poll, I think the age groups will be completely different. If I was a member back then my one vote could have change those results. Be interesting what the results would be today for both male and female. :-k BTW that rock wall your building may require a quadratic equation.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

StrUktO wrote:well I don't know how it is for everyone else but there's a gap of 20-30 years between me and the other members of our local cactus club, I'm 33 by the way

I see a similar thing at my cactus society. I'm in my late 30s and the next youngest members appear to be in their late 40s, with the vast majority of members in the 55-75 range. I started going to "societies" in my teens and have been in a number of them in my life (rose, orchid, metal detecting, carnivorous plant, aquarium) and in almost every case the average age of the members is probably around 60. The main exceptions have been aquarium societies and carnivorous plants, though even in those cases 40+ is the norm.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

PTCG, I'm not talking so much about math as I am about language, the meanings of words, and using the words properly. All men participating in the poll are in the "majority", which is technically 50% +1 of the total respondents. However, there is no single demographic group in the poll that is a majority by itself. For group to hold a majority share in this poll it would have to consist on 119 people. So, being a man in the 30-39 year old age range puts you in a "plurality", or basically the largest subgroup within the poll. As one of the two oldest females in the poll, I definitely fall into a minority in all ways possible ...
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

cactushobbyman wrote:PTCG, if you do that math that you hate so much and recalcuate the poll, I think the age groups will be completely different. If I was a member back then my one vote could have change those results. Be interesting what the results would be today for both male and female. :-k BTW that rock wall your building may require a quadratic equation.
LoL if it does, then I will be in trouble.. it might I don't know fall over :P

And Harriet, I see,
I am probably in another plurality of all the people from Arizona ;)
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

i got into cacti 3 years ago im 16 now, one trip to Arizona got me hooked.
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I don't think I would have caught the distinction between plurality and majority. I will have to watch that in the future.

Anyway, this poll started 7 years ago so there is a good chance that many people have moved to another group since voting. Almost the only way to do it otherwise would be to post the decade of birth.

So somethin like:

Male Up to 1920
Female Up to 1920
Male: 1921-1930
Female: 1921-1930

and so on - that way the poll would never go out of date...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Daiv, I didnt think about the how we aged since the poll started. If I had been say 27 when I first filled it out, I would be 31 now..

So I would have changed groups, at least age groups not gender ones...
MadTexanC

Post by MadTexanC »

I'm male, and in my twenties. 8)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I am in my sixties (early sixties I must say) Gosh, didn't know how much it would hurt to write that :shock: I never think about how old I am as it I don't consider it important. I just try to enjoy life as much as possible. Started collecting 2-3yrs. ago after finding a bit of a cactus that had dropped off someone's plant when they moved it. I planted it, it flowered, and that was it! Still have loads to learn though, but thanks to the forum I am hoping to get there eventually.
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
majcka

Post by majcka »

Tiggy wrote: Still have loads to learn though, but thanks to the forum I am hoping to get there eventually.
Susi
You hope???? I'm no Santa Claus, but I can assure you; You will. (If you choose to)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook