Home Improvements - Cactus & Succulent Style

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
GeneS

Home Improvements - Cactus & Succulent Style

Post by GeneS »

Hello everyone,

Here in the US it is customary for many of us to observe an annual day of giving thanks.

For me, this year deserves special notice as it marks the completion of a major, long term project. It will also serve as my excuse for absence from the forums for the last 6 months. Almost all of my spare time, energy, and money have gone toward a single goal. Despite not posting, I have found time to read the forums on a regular basis and will soon be back as a contributor.

For the reveal, click here and then click {Slide Show} in the upper right of the screen that will appear.

Cheers ... GeneS
jenni

Post by jenni »

So totally awesome!!! That sure is a beautiful greenhouse. All I know is that they are definately more work than you think that they will be. :wink:
I've killed plants.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Looks like a grand and successful project. Fantastic!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

That is a beautiful greenhouse and a great job of construction and landscaping. I put in a 30 x 50ft greenhouse of similar construction so I have a feel for the work you did. Yours looks better than mine!!
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Excellent work, Gene.
It's fricken beautiful man! 8)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Awesome! Totally awesome!!! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Steve Stephens

Post by Steve Stephens »

Just beautiful! The slide show was very informative and showed the hard work you put into the project.

Do you think you made it too small? I think that's often the case when collections seem to grow way more than we think they will.
hob

Post by hob »

great job Gene :D that's a lot of work :shock:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I may have missed it, but what are the overall dimensions of the new Green House? I like the idea of the heated area within the larger space, but have to chuckle, as that small heatable space is only slightly smaller than my entire greenhouse!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Love the slide-show with a caption for each. Sometimes only a slide or two represent a serious amount of work!

The whole setup is first class!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Thanks everyone for your comments !!

I had a great deal of fun building it and a sense of accomplishment when finished. Now comes the real work of finding all the microclimates and happiness spots for each of the plants :)

For answers to some of your questions ...

Overall size of the GH is 18 x 24 feet. The shade structure is 18 x 20 feet.

Do I think it is too small ??

Of course!! But, that would have been the answer no matter what the size :) It did though, fit my available space and budget quite well and is a big improvement over the 8 x 12 foot house I had for 20 years before I moved up here.

Dean wrote: "Yours looks better than mine!!"

Thats just because I didn't take any closeups of the bad parts :) I, as you too probably did, learned a lot as I went. Sometimes too late for action!!

Cheers ... GeneS
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

If my math is right I figure you have over 700 square feet more covered cactus space than I do, but I still wonder if you have enough space... have you filled it up yet, or is there room to add more plants?

I also got the sense that the project was still on-going; if so, I would really love to see the progress, or the finished landscaping and how the the structures look all "filled up".
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Very impressive!!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

GeneS wrote: Thats just because I didn't take any closeups of the bad parts :) I, as you too probably did, learned a lot as I went. Sometimes too late for action!!
I hear ya. I built ours from plans in my head, so imagine my dismay when the instructions didnt work out! :lol:
The first 1-2 can be a bit of a bear and a headscratcher, but the rest become quick and easy...most of the time!
out2searob

Post by out2searob »

beautiful project, I really appreciate the recycling of concrete.Nothing like a little hard work to make you appreciate something :D