Cheap green house

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
king_hedes

Cheap green house

Post by king_hedes »

I just finished my little green house i used 8 (4 by 4's) for the framing and 9 16 foot(2 by 4's) and a bunch of 1 by 4's for the framing then put plastic down and nailed a bunch of 1 by 4's to hold the plastic down
I made a shelf and used hardware cloth as the top

here is the pictures of it
it doesn't go a whole lot of evening sun but a lot of morning sun
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Nice Matt! I wish I had a yard to even build a greenhouse, cheap or otherwise! A Greenhouse is just a building with Glass or plastic walls and roof where plants are grown! How you get it doesn't matter.

Can't wait to see it finished with all your plants in it!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey that's perfect. It looks pretty big - 16 x 16 I'm guessing? You should be able to grow a LOT of plants in that space and I think you'll be surprised at how well some respond to the controlled Greenhouse conditions.

The only thing I would say on the down side is that the plastic sheeting will break down in the sunlight unbelieveably fast if it isn't UV protected. I learned that the hard way on my first covering. Then I bought the stuff made specifically for greenhouses and it is holding up beautifully.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

daiv wrote:
The only thing I would say on the down side is that the plastic sheeting will break down in the sunlight unbelieveably fast if it isn't UV protected. I learned that the hard way on my first covering. Then I bought the stuff made specifically for greenhouses and it is holding up beautifully.
Ya i was thinking it wouldn't last to long i got it free so thats why i used it

do they my make any hard plastic
like them fiberglass corrugated sheets
but since there green wouldn't that not be good for the plants
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Tony

Post by Tony »

Very Cool, The only recommendation I have is either sloping the roof quite a bit or adding a high point in the center so that rain will run off quickly.
If not, the rain will pool up and could eventually drag the roof down to the floor.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

king_hedes wrote:Ya i was thinking it wouldn't last to long i got it free so thats why i used it

do they my make any hard plastic
like them fiberglass corrugated sheets
but since there green wouldn't that not be good for the plants

Same here - I had some free stuff to start with and that got me through the first summer at least. I had more free stuff available, but I didn't want the work of replacing it again.

I wanted to do the whole thing in the hard polycarb too, but it is way expensive and so I just did the roof.

I would avoid the fiberglass stuff. It is really fragile. The polycarb is practically indestructable!
JeffWhiteDevil

Post by JeffWhiteDevil »

That is looks great, and with room to spare. I like it.
apfire

Post by apfire »

I envy the amount of space that you have for a greenhouse. My little 7X8 greenhouse was filled before I completed it. Will you be heating it?
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
iann

Post by iann »

Morning sun and afternoon shade might turn out to be a good idea when summer comes around 8)
--ian
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Nice, but i would have deffinately went with some sort of pitch to the roof, the other thing is i dont know why so many folks are down on this plastic, i have had mine on the mini GH for few yrs now and its still going strong, been thru winters, ice buildup, high winds, blazing sun and rain down pours, and in the garage as a heated cig smoke house :P, im using the same type plastic again on my newer built GH but i do have mine doubled and i also take care of it..
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tracey,
The only explanation is that the plastic you have must be UV protected by design. The purpose of a greenhouse it to be in sunlight so the only way you could take care of non-UV protected plastic would be to keep it out of the sun which would defeat the purpose of using it on a greenhouse.

The reason I'm down on non-protected plastic is because in my fist hand experience I was blown away at how fast it can break down in sunlight. If you notice in my post I say "if it isn't UV protected".

Daiv
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

the roof has a small slope only 4 inch but that should be good if i put up polycarb if i can afford it for the roof
i do have a piece or PVC holding up the middle before i put it up i had about a gallon of water on the top just from the dew

I'll put a heater in it when it freezes but it hasn't froze yet its been in the 60's most of the time it did get to 35 a week or so ago

i'm going to put a few windows for them hot south Texas summers
when i replace the plastic i will try and go with UV protected plastic
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Good stuff, Matt. Your plants are going to love it!

I can say from experience...have a good poking stick ready and your coat and boots near the door when it rains. I had a 1 foot pitch, plastic was as tight as i could get it, but still had HUGE pools of water. The plastic litterally stretched down 2 to 2.5 feet with the water.