New Cactus Lexicon

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
daiv
Site Admin

New Cactus Lexicon

Post by daiv »

Has anyone heard an update on the release of The New Cactus Lexicon? There was a preliminary announcement in the Sept/Oct 2003 To the Point newsletter. It was supposed to be ready mid to late 2004. I didn't expect it to be out early, but its got to be close.

I really can't wait for it. Here is what they said about it...

"...The New Cactus Lexicon will be the most scientifically authoritative conspectus of the Cactaceae... [it] is expected to become the benchmark reference for all those with amateur or professional interests in the diversity, identification and conservation of cacti."
daiv
Site Admin

Answer to my own question

Post by daiv »

OK, I've answered my own question here. I sent an e-mail to the guys who are working on the lexicon and here is the reply:
Daiv,
We have nearly got all the images we are likely to get now so production will soon be underway. In reality we expect the book to be available next May Thanks for your interest.
Cheers,
Graham
Buck Hemenway

The New Cactus Lexicon

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I was at the CSSA convention last week and heard one of the editors, Graham Charles speak. Among other things, he said that they are hoping for early 2006 publication. They are offering an early purchase discount. Depending on the British pound, the discount will be about $50.00. Check out their web site at http://www.cactuslexicon.org. Money must be in their hands by Aug. 31, 2005.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks for the update! Man, I can't wait to get my hands on that thing. It will make ID a lot easier. Although, we'll still struggle a bit with the diffent growth forms that appear in cultivation which we talked about in another post. It is almost as though we need a Cactus Lexicon for wild plants and another for cultivated plants.