One or the other....

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
bard1147

One or the other....

Post by bard1147 »

Hello, all!

I have a cactus here that's been given to me (luckily it's only a cutting) that has been in my family for at least 150 years (that's as far back as we can trace it, anyway...). Being unfamiliar with cacti, I have been trying to identify it to ascertain the best way to care for it, since it is obviously of great sentimental value to me. I don't want to be responsible for letting it die (that's why I'm grateful I'm not the only one with a cutting, of course). My family tells me it's a Christmas cactus, which is patently absurd, because it's VERY CLEARLY not that.

The research I've done at the cactiguide tells me that it is most likely either:

1) hylocereus tricostatus
2) disocactus ackermanii

Then again, maybe it's neither. I'm sooo unsure. :(

From the photos on the site, I think I've been able to narrow it down fairly closely, but I really can't be certain. I don't have a digital camera myself, so I can't post photos today (though I might be able to borrow someone's camera later)... Does anyone have any suggestions to help me clarify exactly what I've got here without looking at a photo of it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Josie
The shining spark of truth cometh forth only after the clash of differing opinions. -Abdu'l Baha'-
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hi Josie
If you can please post a pic,it would help very much
in the ID.

Bob
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Josie,
It is likely that your plant is the plant I have labled Disocactus ackermanii. I should note that is one of the few on the site that I'm no 100% sure on. Wild as it may sound the one you see on my site may even come from the same original plant as yours as it too has hundred year old heritage. In the Victorian era the newly discovered tropical and exotic new world plants where especially popular amoung the upper class. Although they never reached the same level of recognition as Lilys and Orchids, you can find an occasional Kerosene lamp with an Epiphytic cacti in flower portrayed on the shade and base.

As for care, you can check out the section here under 'Jungle Cacti' for more info:

http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/

I leave mine outside year round, but I wouldn't recommend that in your area. The host plant that mine came from "winters" inside in cool, dimly lit conditions year after year and does just fine.

Daiv