Succulentguide.com

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Shmuel

Succulentguide.com

Post by Shmuel »

Whoah!!! I did a google search and some site named succulentguide.com popped up!!!!
:smilebox:

The format looked very familiar. Before I filed charges for plagiarism I realized... it is us!!

Wonderful! When did this happen? Is it "live" or still waiting for the official release? Do you want big picture photos and / or suggestions or is this all premature. Will I violate the ban on religious discussion if I say MAZAL TOV!

Is this what you do in the winter?

Great success to Daiv and Ian in this endeavor and to all the other contributors.

Shmuel

PS Hmmm, perhaps next year xerophyteguide.com (better buy the name now!) for all the drought resistant companion plants for cacti and succulents.
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Very cool. When did it go "live"?
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

:oops: Whoops! You'll see that it is still a bit rough around the edges. Mostly missing content in some key areas. I had wanted to get at least 1000 species listed before the official launch. The forum will be shared between the two, which will require a little revamping.

As for Xerophytes, these can be added here as well - perhaps a bit of a stretch, but that's OK.

So there it is - a work in progress!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Sorry if I spilled the beans early. At least we didn't find out about from Wikileaks... :lol:

Daiv, no need for an embarrassed smiley - of course it is a work in progress. That was obvious and totally understandable. Even so, I already have found it useful.

Are you open for input? Do you want photos, etc? Or is there so much on the plate now that we had best let you just work without hassles.

It is an awesome idea and brilliant to have a common forum!

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
John C

Post by John C »

It's looking GREAT Daiv! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
fixpix

Post by fixpix »

COOL.
I'll have to sign in there as well, since I am more interested in succulentssss!~
:D
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

No need to sign in differently, the forum will be shared since so many people grow both.

@ Shmuel - I still owe you a reply. I'm just working on it as I can and so I've not got any specific requests for input at this time.

Thank you all for the kind words, once the setup is done, hopefully we'll all be able to put it to good use!
PapaBearJay

Post by PapaBearJay »

I have also seen this work of yours, though I must admit, I did find it before this topic was started. I just thought it was the sister site, I hadn't even thought that it might not be a "live" site.

So congrats Daiv on being proactive and coming up with a surely helpful, and once again informative website where -philes of all kinds can rejoice that they've found others like themselves.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Daiv,
were you also working on a conifer guide? I think I found that awhile ago and meant to ask but forgot?

(btw I know you like conifers so it wouldn't surprise me at all if you were working on that as well)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peter,
I hope to work on that some day. Haven't touched it in a few years now. I've got lots of photos I'd like to post of various conifers.

Daiv
Peterthecactusguy

Daiv yeah, from what I remember it was a work in progress like the Succulent guide. Take your time, I am sure you will get to it some day.

Btw I will check out the succulent one too some more, I took a quick peek at it the other day. I got tons of photos to put on, including some from Longwood Gardens which is located near West Chester, PA.
John C

Post by John C »

I never noticed conifer guide. That's cool.
Now all we need is Palm guide! :wink: :wink:
That would be the icing on the cake! I would never get off this site then. :lol:
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

JohnC,
or a guide to TREES and how about birds too?

I would also include geology and stuff like that if it were my site :wink:
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

grassguide would be cool too, of course I mean the lawn and garden variety
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
John C

Post by John C »

ooooo... Grass guide would be neat as well. Like you said, the lawn and ornamental kind. Poor Daiv, he will have to be working on here 24-7 to keep up all these sites. :shock: :lol:
"Where the West begins"