Ray's 2011 garden in Connecticut

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Looks like its go time!

Too bad the forecast is crappy all next week. We do need some rain though.
RayC

Post by RayC »

yes,we do need rain. I only see 2 days without rain mentioned in the 15 day forcast, maybe more then we need/
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow Ray, you're practically a month ahead of me here. Those plants look great - no sign of winter shrinkage!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Cool 8)
Your babies are waking up.
:)
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Andy_CT wrote:Too bad the forecast is crappy all next week. We do need some rain though.
I wish I could ship you a few inches we've had up here. Two weeks ago some areas here had over 5" and just this week, as of this morning, my front yard has received 2.2", with more showers to come. Lk.Champlain was more than 3 feet above flood and has inundated homes around Burlington as well as adjacent state parks. Just as it had started to recede, another week of rain arrived and the level started to rise again. Needless to say, all my cacti except the Epis and Schlumbs are inside in less than ideal conditions.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
RayC

Post by RayC »

fanaticactus wrote:
Andy_CT wrote:Too bad the forecast is crappy all next week. We do need some rain though.
I wish I could ship you a few inches we've had up here. Two weeks ago some areas here had over 5" and just this week, as of this morning, my front yard has received 2.2", with more showers to come. Lk.Champlain was more than 3 feet above flood and has inundated homes around Burlington as well as adjacent state parks. Just as it had started to recede, another week of rain arrived and the level started to rise again. Needless to say, all my cacti except the Epis and Schlumbs are inside in less than ideal conditions.
No thanks on the water offer, we are getting our own this week (and pretty much all week). I saw some pics from the Lake including the Charlotte-Essex ferry slip on the NY side, appears you need a boat to get to the slip :) .
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

RayC wrote: I saw some pics from the Lake including the Charlotte-Essex ferry slip on the NY side, appears you need a boat to get to the slip :) .
Yeah, they had to truck in gravel just to keep the ramp accessible. We know someone from Isle LaMotte (whose causeway was entirely cut off for a day) who used a 4-wheel to get to a boat to get to her car!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

fanaticactus wrote: I wish I could ship you a few inches we've had up here. Two weeks ago some areas here had over 5" and just this week, as of this morning, my front yard has received 2.2", with more showers to come.
I got plenty of water now. Actually just inspected the outdoor garden and wow have plants bloated up on water, yeesh! I may get some splits with an additional few inches the next two days!
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Andy_CT wrote:
fanaticactus wrote: I wish I could ship you a few inches we've had up here. Two weeks ago some areas here had over 5" and just this week, as of this morning, my front yard has received 2.2", with more showers to come.
I got plenty of water now. Actually just inspected the outdoor garden and wow have plants bloated up on water, yeesh! I may get some splits with an additional few inches the next two days!
And I just discovered this afternoon (the sun almost came out!) that my O.humifusa pads are split from the bloating right along the new growth. I hope they'll self-heal.
RayC

Post by RayC »

June 1st update, some new growth and some flower buds. I do believe I may have a few first time (for me) bloomers in the mix.Image

Also have a resident slugginater again this year, a little camera shy at times, but not when the sun is out brightImage

Its getting a little crowded, I think I should be planning another add-on and move some stuff around later this summer
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Andy
Looks good!! Glad to see those flower buds set to go! And my how your bed has filled out!!

Like the snake too!! :D I hope he grows fat and sassy.
sierrarainshadow
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

John P Weiser wrote:Andy
Looks good!! Glad to see those flower buds set to go! And my how your bed has filled out!!
:shock: Not my garden John!!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

RayC wrote:June 1st update, some new growth and some flower buds. I do believe I may have a few first time (for me) bloomers in the mix.
Awesome!! looks about the same as here. I have (at least) two first timer Opuntias I hope to show.
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Andy_CT wrote:
John P Weiser wrote:Andy
:shock: Not my garden John!!

:oops: Sorry I most pay more attention. My bad.
sierrarainshadow
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Ah, Ray...that's what I like to see. Looks like a very promising season for you. Your garden is very impressive. Do you have even more room to expand?