tips to increase accessibility and membership

Post links, info, news, etc. regarding local and national cactus clubs and societies
Buck Hemenway

Re: clubs

Post by Buck Hemenway »

promethean_spark wrote:I do go to the show/sale (tomorrow!). It would be nice to be able to bring a couple flats to the sale, I'll probably join once my GH is full to help cull the herd. ;)
That's interesting. In surveys we've done over the past years, the overwhelming reason that people join C&S clubs is to acquire plants. You will make a nice addition to the San Jose club.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I got you Darryl. I just was stating the whole case for the record. My idea is to point out that I see some pros and cons, but overall I think it would be a good move. That's what I was trying to say...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Reading this has made me laugh. My husband and I were involved for years in the Sports Car Club of America. (Sam was the Regional Executive and deeply into the politics, I produced the monthly newsletter and, until it became too much work, ran the website.) What made me laugh is that you can take the first several posts in this thread and change CSSA to SCCA, and the information would be just as true for that club. Right down to old farts, disconnects from national to local clubs, and all the rest.

I would not be surprised if it is true of most national organizations ...
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Harriet, it reminds me of a lot of clubs and other things. Not to be rude but some people in clubs act like they are a senator for their state of the President or something like that. I am not directly accusing anyone on this site of being like that, but we all have had experiences with the type of people I am talking about. They make clubs unfun.

As for meetings since when I work I have a very busy schedule it sometimes makes it where one week I work certain days and the next week I work other days, so I don't know really which is better weekend days vs weekend nights.

I did like Darryl's ideas about using the internet. I don't know how much it costs to do things like stream videos(either live or not doesn't really matter) My point is that for someone like me that can't always make every meeting it might be good so that I could experience some of the speakers at the meetings. If that doesn't work, even just a summary of information. I do not have a ton of internet experience and most of mine is from the good old Telnet days but I can type fast. I would be willing to type up stuff like that.

Just saying I think that some of the older people need to embrace the future. I wish I had had a computer when I was 3... just imagine what I could do now!
:)
(and like I said what I am saying has nothing to do with anyone on Cactiguide, nor any CASS either. I do think that people tend to forget that I live in North central AZ, around 60 miles from DBG) Going once a month would be ok, if I had a job. Right now I don't so money is way tighter then that)
(end of my weird thoughts hahaha)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.