Coming Soon to a Yard out my Door...

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Harriet

Coming Soon to a Yard out my Door...

Post by Harriet »

I'm so excited! I am getting a Shadehouse built to replace the temporary Greenhouse in my yard.

Here's a picture of the Greenhouse when it was going up. The Shadehouse will be built along the wall to the left.

Beside the problem with the plastic GH giving way at stress points, the area around it is hard to get to, and is embarrasingly neglected and junky.

The "Shadehouse" is going to be an updated shade/leanto contraption that can be closed in during the winter. In the drawing below there is a top-down view on the left and a side view on the right.

I want to control the water going to my plants so the Shadehouse needs to have a roof that will keep rain out but let light in. I wanted to use rigid acrylic or polymer panels for the roof. But I don't like what I can find locally, and getting it to me becomes cost prohibitive (because they are too big for UPS and have have to be put on a truck). So I found some Solex panels that can be shipped UPS and apparently can become rigid enough to cover a roof when framed correctly. http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/cate ... exx-panels

The information says that the panels let 70-75% of the light into the structure. I think that is going to be OK, or do you think it is too much? Has anyone used this material? Does anyone have a better idea for a roof?

I need your sage council!!!!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
iann

Post by iann »

There'll be no stopping you now.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Sweet!
Those panels aren't cheap, are they :shock:
By your drawings, looks to be about 24' long?
Running the numbers for the 5mm thick stuff is around $350. Home Depot/Lowes has polycarbonate corrugated panels 12' x 3' @ $30 each = $120 (cutting them in half to 6' x 3' will cover your 24' length with the frame supports 3' apart)

Solex pros: good and strong, if you have the room you could extend the depth to 8' from the house, 8 yr warranty
Solex cons: cost is high, wasted material if not able to go to 8', added cost of the U channel connectors, extra shipping costs

Polycarb pros: good and strong but not as thick (measured in MIL, not MM) available locally (makes for quick fixes for any weather damage) no extra parts needed to install (HD/Lowes has proper rubber washer screws for just such things) they allow more light in (+/- 90%)
Polycarb cons: not quite as visually appealing, but IMO not a big enough factor.

I may have gone a bit overboard with my reply but I enjoy this type of problem solving and I've been down this road a few times ;)

Another option:
Have a look at http://www.mcconkeyco.com this is where I got my poly panels, as I wanted 4' x 8' sheets, but they have other sizes.
promethean_spark

solex

Post by promethean_spark »

The big thing about the solex panels is they are 2 layers, so their insulation value is much higher than polycarbonate panels (at least in a single layer). This would make the GH considerably warmer in winter.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Good point.
But when used just for the roof that advantage may not come into play enough to be warranted. The house wall will also help retain and radiate some heat too.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Excellent project! You've seen the polycarb roof that I ended up using I think. I got these from the local Amish guy who makes metal roofing. He orders it from Scotland apparently.

That would work well for you -the stuff is indestructible and clear - if you can get it.

I looked at the Solex stuff and that is what I would prefer as I especially need the insulation properties in my setting, but cost is what prevented me. I still hope to do the sides with it -replacing the plastic film eventually.

Conclusion- I think the corrugated Solex or Solex-like stuff is the way to go. Local Lowes type stores I've seen only have it in white and not clear. Maybe they can order it?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Polycarbonate is available in twinwall if you want the insulation or just a tougher product. It is much stronger than polyethylene, also stiffer, more transparent. Those might not all be advantages for you, plus it is more expensive. Light transmission 80-some %, less "milky" than the polyethylene, and you certainly can't roll it! I once sent back a cold frame that was supposed to be polycarbonate but arrived as polyethylene. I need the light 8)

Here is a random internet link showing polycarbonate twinwall sheeting.
--ian
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Thank you for the information. It is exactly what I need. Any more that comes my way will not be ignored!

I liked the Solex because of the strength/insulating factors and shipping costs, but I don't really like the milky color. I may have done the math wrong, but it looked to me as if shipping rigid 8' panels would more than double the cost of the other panels, but if I can get them from Home Depot or Lowes, that might solve that problem.

The roof will remain in place all the time, but I want removable side panels for the winter. Problem there is storing them for the rest of the year.

The whole structure is about 24' long, but I can't use all of it the way I would like because of utility boxes. For now I'm thinking roof over the whole 24', but maybe not enclosing the whole of it during the winter. We'll see. I can't do much foundation work, again because of power, phone and cable, but I'm planning to level the ground and add crushed coquina, decomposed granite, or something similar for the flooring.

Prep work begins today, the structure goes in starting April 11. Roof sometime after that.

Lotta work, but worth it.

And yes, Ian, there is no stopping me!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

If you check at Lowes, talk to their special order dept. Often times they can order in stuff they may never stock and if you can wait, they could save freight costs by including it on their regular order. Helpfulness may vary by store and depending on the worker you talk to as well.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I'll do that Daiv. All I see at Home Depot and Lowes are the 12'long, 26" wide panels, which would work, but there will be a lot of waste as I need 8' sections. It won't hurt to ask though.

I called the supplier (http://www.mcconkeyco.com)Darryl mentioned, and talked with a very nice and helpful person there (she grows orchids, and rare succulents... especially ones with caudexes... my kind of lady). The 8'x4' panels they have are perfect for what I need, but buying from a California supplier doesn't make much sense to me because of the shipping costs, nor did it to my contact. She was very nice -- I didn't even have to ask her if she knew of folks in my area that would carry those panels, she just volunteered to send me contact information. It is not often that people will be that nice -- making a friend instead of a customer.