Put an order in, can't wait

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
LadyV

Put an order in, can't wait

Post by LadyV »

I went to "High Country Gardens" as suggested and I bought a sampler of Cactus and a yucca. I am going to build a rock garden in my front yard using railroad ties...should I put down first before the dirt for draining?

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catal ... uct/99534/
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catal ... uct/98760/
peterb

Post by peterb »

If I read the High Country Gardens item correctly, two of the cactus plants will be somewhat touchy in Winslow: Echinocactus texensis and Coryphantha sulcata. I would grow these out in your garden but transfer them to a dry, cool spot every winter (from roughly November through mid-March). I have seen Echinocactus texensis growing outside in Santa Fe, but they were sheltered and facing south. I imagine they did not survive the -20F temps this past February.

Agaves can be somewhat tricky as well, really not liking the combination of cold and wet at all. So if there's any way to emphasize the southern aspect and keep them on the dry side over the winter, you'll get better results.

peterb
Zone 9
LadyV

Post by LadyV »

Well, POOOOOO. They were advertised as ok for my zone...is there some thing I can do winter time to protect them...something over them or something around them
iann

Post by iann »

Interesting. Both are certainly good to about 10F from my experience but I wouldn't be confident much below that. -20F? No chance! I'll keep testing until I kill some one day, but it is unlikely (touch wood) that it will go below 10F here for a very long time.

How cold is it likely to get in Winslow? I'd have thought warmer than Sante Fe, but maybe not? I imagine you can better my lowest temperatures by virtue of dry air and warm days. E. texensis in particular has a huge range from Mexico to northern New Mexico and plants from the northern part of the range are likely gardier. Mine, at least the ones that got tested in the cold, are from Mexico.
--ian
iann

Post by iann »

I just looked up Winslow. Wouldn't that be a great location to grow some Sclerocactus and Pediocactus?
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

I'd try them just to see. It will be an interesting experiment. Yes, Winslow would be a great place to grow Pediocactus and Sclerocactus. The average lows in Winslow in Dec and Jan are 21F. Nov-March the average lows are below freezing. The record low is -18F, with a great many listed temps below zero over the years. So I think the limiting factor will be the periodic very hard freezes, not a factor that is reliably accounted for in the USDA Zone system.

If you devise some sort of shelter for them, a bucket to cover them or some sort of black plastic mulch like what Harald used this past winter, I bet they will be fine.

peterb
Zone 9
LadyV

Post by LadyV »

Thank you so much...I will deff. cover and protect come winter...yes, it gets pretty cold here as we are northern Az at about 5000 feet
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Winslow seems to come through as Zone 7.
Johnts71

Post by Johnts71 »

Echinocactus texensis will be fine in winslow but how big is it? mine survived with no problem in below 32 for 70+ hours
"You'll find MORE room, trust me!!"

"Bill in SC"
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

I think your cactus should do good. Looks likes you have some nice plants headed your way. 8)