Outdoor cactus bed in Houston, Texas

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

the brand that you used for your soil mixture is the same stuff I used just from a different store. Molton made it.
I liked it, and it works well. :)
its coming along nicely!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Yay for you! Looks good!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

Thanks guys :D

Where did you get your Molton absorbent at Peter? I got mine at O'Reileys, also known is Kragens in a lot of states.
"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."
--Aldous Huxley
Peterthecactusguy

I got mine at AutoZone, but the store I went to has closed down. I guess they didnt get much business there. Most of the people in Anthem where it was located at take their cars in to be serviced at the dealers since they are rich and drive nice cars.
:)
I need to find out where I can buy some more.I need to make some more mix.
:)
I might have to see if we have either of those two stores around here, but I think they are affiliated with Autozone, but I could be wrong.
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

Just thought I'd update this thread with a picture of how the cactus bed looks 5 months later! There's some new additions and Pedro's main branch got top heavy and snapped.

"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted."
--Aldous Huxley
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Those large plants make the bed look older and more established. It is looking good! (And it looks like there is room to expand. :wink:)
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

Harriet wrote:Those large plants make the bed look older and more established. It is looking good! (And it looks like there is room to expand. :wink:)
Thanks Harriet! I definantly plan on planting more Tricho/Echinopsis columnars next year! Probably some spiny ones!
--Aldous Huxley
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Looks great. Most columnar Echinopsis species are not very strong in my experience. They just have a ring of thin woody rods for a skeleton.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

daiv wrote:Looks great. Most columnar Echinopsis species are not very strong in my experience. They just have a ring of thin woody rods for a skeleton.
Yeah, I've heard of the weight of the flowers snapping columns. It broke off at a weak point close to a joint where I'm assuming the growing tip had been damaged by cold or sun burn. I don't expect any of them to get over 5-6 feet tall without support. I've seen pictures of specimens that are 20' +, but I'm assuming they're places that have almost no wind. It wasn't even windy the day it broke, just a light breeze. Hopefully that Cereus will get tall, I like tall columnars.
--Aldous Huxley
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Great garden. How are things holding up lately? I live right down the road from you in Louisiana just past Lake Charles and would enjoy doing something similar. Like you Im alittle worried about all our rain we get here and rotting the plants. Any updated pics to post?
m4rkz0r

Post by m4rkz0r »

Thanks Joel. I don't have any recent pics but if I can remember to take some this weekend ill post them. I was going to update in the spring.

We've been getting quite a bit of rain this winter and the temperature has dropped into the high 20's several nights and 40-50's during the day then jumping back to 60-70. Kind of a warm winter this year. Its been like that for several weeks. But all the plants are doing great! They all look very very plump. Pedro looks like he's about to pop and so does the myrtillo. I've just been putting styrofoam cups that i drew faces on over the tips when I know it is going to frost.

I even have some pereskiopsis outside because I didn't have room inside and they're still alive too although the leaves look a bit frost burnt. Last year I left some pere cuttings outside while I was gone for 3 months. Supposedly everything froze over and it was in the high teens and one of the pere cuttings survived unprotected out in the open. I was pretty surprised.

Anyways Im bored at work and rambling. Ill post some up to date pics hopefully this weekend.

Joel143 wrote:Great garden. How are things holding up lately? I live right down the road from you in Louisiana just past Lake Charles and would enjoy doing something similar. Like you Im alittle worried about all our rain we get here and rotting the plants. Any updated pics to post?
--Aldous Huxley
m4rkz0r

Re: Outdoor cactus bed in Houston, Texas

Post by m4rkz0r »

I finally got around to taking some updated pictures of my bed.
Attachments
DSCN1474.JPG
DSCN1474.JPG (110.53 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
DSCN1475.JPG
DSCN1475.JPG (100.47 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Here is why it took me so long to get pictures.  My Accord Wagon's engine took a crap and I swapped in a low mileage Japanese engine and did a manual transmission swap.  Ignore the recliner, I'm not white trash. :-p
Here is why it took me so long to get pictures. My Accord Wagon's engine took a crap and I swapped in a low mileage Japanese engine and did a manual transmission swap. Ignore the recliner, I'm not white trash. :-p
IMG_20120325_172142.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
And I found this blurry picture on my phone.  Here's what they looked like during cold winter nights.  :-)
And I found this blurry picture on my phone. Here's what they looked like during cold winter nights. :-)
IMG_20111206_170145.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
--Aldous Huxley
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Pics probably blurry probably 'cause they're still shivering. :wink: But great island!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

The plants look great! Kind of wild surrounded by all that lush green grass!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

I have used that brand before. IT works well as an additive. I stay away from organic mixes anymore. They rot cacti.(edit)
The bed looks great. And finally the Accord Wagon. lolz I replaced the engine in my Civic and I could pick up the engine block by myself. It weighed about 65 pounds or something.