Carolina cacti outdoors - my first post here.

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
MJPapay

Carolina cacti outdoors - my first post here.

Post by MJPapay »

Well, here goes.

This is a link to some of the cacti I am growing, mostly outdoors and with no protection.

The large trichocerii in pots I move into an unheated greenhouse (large cold frame). However, some endure the cold outside and have suprised me, especially the one I call 'Luscious'.

The hybrid Gymnocalycium gibbosum x baldianum I created from a cross made two years ago.

The Trichocereus 'Luscious' came from seed form a cross I made using 'Orange Glow' and T. huascha.

Unfortunately I lost the Echinofossulocactus species this winter.

Here's the link: http://naturefoto.org/showgallery.php?cat=566&ppuser=0

Kind regards,

Mike
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

WOW! How long have you been working on your garden? The plants are lovely.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
MJPapay

How long has this garden grown?

Post by MJPapay »

Harriet - My present garden is approaching three years old, we moved in June 2008. The larger plants (Yucca treculeana, Nolina nelsonii, and the Agave ovatifolia's) were transplanted when we moved.

Here's a link to my Opuntia cacti and a few found elsewhere and a fe win habitat.
http://naturefoto.org/showgallery.php?cat=567&ppuser=0
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Impressive collection of plants!

That 'Flying Saucer' flower is amazing. My favorite picture was the E. missouriensis, a beauty.
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Thanks, Andy.

Flying Saucers bowled me down when I first saw it at Yucca Do nursery half a dozen years ago. I begged for one (as did everyone else there that day) but none were to be had. A few years later one was included as a compliment with an order. I was ELATED to say the least. I'd guess its hardy to the upper teens, no more. Worth the trouble of moving in and out of doors though.
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Impressive I must say. I enjoyed your photos very much. :D
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Good that you enjoyed the photos!

Where, pray tell John, did you get Grusonia clavata Clone 3? It is absolutely a smasher!!!! Instantly upon seeing it I was smitten.

I hope folks don't mind me relating that accidentally I discovered some cacti respond to regular moisture and slow-release fertilizer by sporting vigorous growth and numerous flowers. Partly my success is from using my own insane soil mix. It's insane for three reasons. Firstly because it's a product of my wonky imagination; secondly because it retains moisture (and nutrients) instead of drying in a heartbeat; and lastly because it is insanely easy - that being equal parts pea-gravel (78m from the quarry) and pure leafmold compost from the city. This is what I use in my raised beds. For large pots I increase the gravel in the mix and line the bottom and sides with the gravel. I have no idea how this will work in different parts of the country (world), but it works well enough here. I hope this doesn't come across as bragging, for it is meant only to share so that others might give it a try.
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

MJP I'm not sure were I got it. More than likely it was a trade with one of the other members on this sight.
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Lucky you!

We gotta dream to survive - and now I have one more cactus dream. Thanks!

By the way, your garden photos are exquisite.