Some succulents like the rain

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
iann

Some succulents like the rain

Post by iann »

Ten days ago, this Delosperma nubigenum was nicely contained in this little trough. Now, after getting rained on every day it looks about twice the size it was.
--ian
RayC

Post by RayC »

Yes indeed, they do like to spread their wings.
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Your Delosperma nubigenum looks like it's fat and happy indeed. :D

The other group of succulents that I like for cool, moist, well drained sights are the Sempervivum and Jovibarba species and cultivares. It seems like there is a never ending array of color, texture, and size combinations being developed all the time. I have not added to my collection for several years now. I really don't know were to start. I like the Semp. arachnoideum (cobweb)and hirsute types the best.
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
iann

Post by iann »

Do you have to keep your Sempervivums in shady cracks? I'd have thought they'd fry out in the sun.
--ian
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

They do fry in the sun! But to answer your question yes they are growing in cracks on the north side on an eight inch tall wall. They get plenty of light and but stay a little cooler than at the top of the wall. Those that creep up to the top look awful by the end of the summer. They do recover in the fall. :D
I do have them irrigated or they would be goners. I have been trying them in sights that get half a day of sun. Dappled shade or early direct sun seem to work. The heat is the bigest problem in keeping them looking their best.
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow
Tony

Post by Tony »

Semps dont seem to mind living in Chino to much either, a bit tattered by the end of summer but they perk right up after the heat is turned off.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I put my Semps right next to cactus in the most sun possible, but then my full sun probably isn't much different than bright shade on North facing rock cracks in Sparks, NV 8)
Loph

Post by Loph »

great looking plant there iann. do they ever have huge bursts of flowers on you?

we grew lots of semps in canada, they did great. some redding and mild frying in summer but not too bad and temps would get 30s. we grew them all along the driveway and around rocks in gardens, looked fantastic.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
iann

Post by iann »

Loph wrote:great looking plant there iann. do they ever have huge bursts of flowers on you?
Delosperma nubigenum isn't very prolific here, although I've seen photos of it covered in flowers. Perhaps it needs more water :shock: I do tend to treat it like a succulent when it would probably be happier being treated like an alpine.
--ian