outdoor garden

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
marges

outdoor garden

Post by marges »

Hello,

I have a outdoor plot I was going to do something with my cactus. 13x9 ft. Having someone put up the fence now. I was just wondering what advice I would get about rock. I noticed alot of people have it down with their cacti. I looked at the store, they had some around 3.50 a bag but it says it's only .5 sq ft.

ugh, anyone have the winning lotto numbers?

My guess would be I would need to spread the rock before placing the cacti? I have a couple oputina, aloe, rosemary, grandiflora. I would like to find some, i'm not positive but i've been told it's iceplant to fill in the open areas.

just thought i would ask since you guys have done it before!

Thanks!
Lazz

Post by Lazz »

Hi marges,
I have an outdoor garden and I used crushed brick from a recycle place as a cover.
Problem is it also acts as a mulch and tends to keep moisture down. As there is no region info in your message so I don't know if this would apply to you.

If I could start my garden again, I would use rocks/brick more sparingly with just a thin cover of rough sand.
I just prepared the beds, put over the brick and planted through it. Worked fine for me. At present I am removing rampant opuntia microdasys and am going to keep them in pots from now on!
Good luck with your garden.
Larry
CLOTU
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

marges,
Not sure where you are located. In CA, I paid a fortune for my topdressing because I could not find it in bulk, but wanted 1/4 inch size red lava rock.

Certainly there should be landscape places that sell top-dressing by the yard, but if you are picky like me, you might not find exactly what you want.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
marges

Post by marges »

Hey, thanks for the reply's

California, yea I saw the red lava rock. HD has it for almost 4 a bag, it says it will cover 3 sq ft. How did it turn out? was it worth the trouble?

They have pea size stone being smaller it might cover more area or they have a general purpose stone. I also saw a bag of gypsum, would that make a good cover?

I'm thinking I might just use sand, or the red bark. I don't think it would be good for cactus but I need a thin layer of something to make it look good.

Lazz, what are you saying? i'll be in trouble with my santa rita opunita in the ground? LOL
Thanks!
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

You can probably get half of the bed of a ford ranger filled for 4 bucks at a gravel yard. I would use a natural color too. I think it's purdier, but it's your garden. I'm not sure about using mulch for cacti either but buy it in bulk if you do use it.
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
Tony

Post by Tony »

If you have a truck or know someone that has one you could use, its definitely worth the effort to get whatever you are looking for in bulk.
In So Cal, there are lots of places to get just about any size and color rock you could possibly want for cheap compared to anything the H/D or Lowe's carries.
I have used 3/4" gravel as a top dressing but I prefer to use DG (decomposed granite) for a top dressing and soil amendment, it looks totally natural.

Here is an article to help explain how to prepare a great growing bed.
http://www.pricklypalace.com/Building%2 ... %20Bed.htm
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
philwilliams

Post by philwilliams »

what exactly is decomposed granite, and can I get it in Western Australia, is it known by any other names ?
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Ought to be easy to find down here, I can find several lanscaping places around Sydney that sell DG at reasonable prices even with delivery fee's included.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

DG or decomposed Granite, is granite rock that is extremely weathered and broken down.

or at least that is my understanding.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
marges

Post by marges »

ok have part of it finished and 3 in the ground

found granite rock for .11 cents a pound made a circle and bought two bags of crushed marble for 2.50

still wondering what this guy is?
spotty

Post by spotty »

It´s very cute. 8)
What can a poor boy do when he fell in love with Escobarias.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

As soon as they get their roots established, they will grow like lightning!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti