Newbie Here with question

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Christine

Newbie Here with question

Post by Christine »

I have enjoyed reading this forum for weeks and I have learned so much about cactus,I bought a prickly pear cactus from my local nursery and the guy told me it was zone hardy for our area, upstate NY, I didnt plant it in the ground because I'm not sure if I will be moving,it is in a pot on my front steps. My question is :lol: What should I do with it when the temps start to fall here, night before last it went down to 55 and last week we were in the triple digits. So what is the best way for me over winter it? I'd really like to hang on to this beauty.
Thanks for all replies
Christine
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hi Christine,

First off welcome to the forum.
I grow cold hardy Opuntia's (prickly pear) in zone 5 which I believe you are also.
Since its in a pot for now I wouldn't leave it out once it starts getting below 45 consistently. Once you bring it in ideally you want to keep it where it will stay cool (around 45) so it gets its winter rest.

By chance do you know the ID of your Opuntia :?:

Fill free to ask questions and hope you stick around.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Christine, Bill is our hardy Opuntia man ,and knows far better than me what to do with them, but I think he may have forgotten to mention that you should cut right down on the watering. it will need to be dry during its winter rest.

John
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thank you Bill & John. I dont know the id on it :oops:
iann

Post by iann »

Christine, if you post a picture someone (not me!) may be able to give you a name. There is a forum for getting names for unknown plants.

Most hardy Opuntias tolerate quite a bit of water in winter, one reason people can grow them outside on the east coast and in England, although they don't really need it. In a pot, just make sure that it drains fast enough not to become waterlogged. Better still place it where it won't get rained on. They will often appear to shrivel up and go limp in winter, its just their way of protecting themselves from the cold. Maybe someone has pictures of this, it can be quite alarming?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

They will often appear to shrivel up and go limp in winter, its just their way of protecting themselves from the cold. Maybe someone has pictures of this, it can be quite alarming?
Ask and you shall recieve :wink:

Opuntia during spring growth.

Same Opuntia during winter dormancy.
Bill

Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey Bill the opuntia pads you sent me are growing more now with the rain.

Mark
Christine

Post by Christine »

Thank you all for all your help :wink: I never knew cactus could survive in cold climates until just a few weeks ago :) We dropped down to 49 last night, what a change from last week :) If I can figure out how to post pics here I will :lol:
Christine

Post by Christine »

I hope the pic shows up, I new to this photobucket thing :D
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

First glance looks like Opuntia compressa to me, but maybe the cladodes (pads) are too large. Bill opuntia will probably shoot me down in flames anyway.

John
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nope, won't shot ya down John as I believe you nailed it.
I have O. compressa from 4 different states and you would be surprised the slight difference in size.

Christine,

Your prickly will survive your cold winters once you plant it in the ground. Although O. compressa doesn't have spines it does have some gochlids so be careful handling it :wink:
Last edited by ihc6480 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Mark wrote:Hey Bill the opuntia pads you sent me are growing more now with the rain.

Mark
Good to hear there doing well for you Mark. You will find that they can grow fairly fast once established.
Bill

Mark

Post by Mark »

Just waiting to find out Bill.

Mark