New Gardens By Pool (Cacti and Palms)

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
John C

New Gardens By Pool (Cacti and Palms)

Post by John C »

Well one of the things I have been working on for some time now is getting our pool landscaped nicely. It just had banana trees around it before, while I like them, they are kind of boring so it has many more plants now. As some of you know, my other interest is palm trees (Desert palms in particular, and cold hardy palms in general), so although it may seem a bit odd to some people to have palms and cactus together they grow naturally together, but, they just look good together if you ask me. :wink:

Anyhow, first I started by planting the palm trees, I don't know what happened to the picture of me standing in the holes but if I find the pics I will post them. They were HUGE!!!

Here they are now that they are established.
Left, Washingtonia filifera (California fan palm), center, Butia capitata (Pindo palm), right another W. filifera.

Sabal palmetto and bananas to the right.

Filifera

Pindo with a pop-up banana tree. I decided to just let it grow where it is.

Other filifera.

Just a random picture of the oleander and old Trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palm).

Now I'm sure some of you are bored with palms by now, so moving onto the cactus :sleepy2:

Here it is after I dug another even larger hole for the cactus garden, this one took a while.

I quickly ran into a problem as I didn't realize that the route for a pipe goes right through where I wanted the garden to be, so I dug the area without the pipe (Front side) deeper to make up for that and kept a slope where the pipe was. Then came the long task of mixing soil. :x

Once the soil was all mixed the plan was finally falling into place and some of my plants that have been waiting to go into the ground finally could. You could really tell that they were ready!

Root bound! (When I bought this plant 2 years ago it was in a 4 inch square pot without a large root system compared to this now. Not much top growth but lots of growth under the soil!)

Here comes the granite!
I ran out on the first day of a holiday weekend so I had to wait very impatiently for the weekend to be over so that the rock place would be open so I could finish.

DONE!

That's all for now, I will post some other pictures of it soon, probably in my outdoor topic. The garden is a bit sparse but will fill in once I start planting some of my other cacti into it.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
DesertZone

Re: New Gardens By Pool (Cacti and Palms)

Post by DesertZone »

John C wrote: Sabal palmetto and bananas to the right.

What is the other plant in the left hand corner? :D
John C

Post by John C »

The upper left? That is pampas grass. It is pretty old (~10 years, guessing) and was looking beautiful. It never got hurt or anything until this past crazy cold winter. So I cut it for the first time ever this spring, otherwsie I always let it go natural. It still looks a little funny, but should fill in soon, and assuming we don't have another record breaking winter, it should look beautiful again by next year.
"Where the West begins"
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Looking good, John!
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Very nice!

While I appreciate your love of palms, being a Floridian I will never understand it... it is the "coal to Newcastle" thing.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks everyone!
Harriet wrote: While I appreciate your love of palms, being a Floridian I will never understand it... it is the "coal to Newcastle" thing.
Well, they are somewhat unusual here. I like them because they are very unique comapared to other plants, same reason I like cacti. They add a lot to a landscape since they are so different. While I like all palms I could do without a lot of the tropical ones, becuase my favorites come from the same place that my cactus come from. 8)
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great stuff John! Palms are definitely cool. Had I the climate, I would totally grow them. How about Cycads? Have you thought about trying some of those?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Cycads and zamia... my kind of "palms". Very good stuff, but some may particularly cold sensitive.
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:Great stuff John! Palms are definitely cool. Had I the climate, I would totally grow them. How about Cycads? Have you thought about trying some of those?
Yes. I do grow a couple cold hardy ones:

Dioon edule
Cycas panzhihuaensis

Otherwise many people grow the common cycas revolta around here, but I don't have one at the moment. I really like the cycads as well I just can't grow a lot of them here.
"Where the West begins"
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Here are my favorite so-called "palms":

Sago palm - Cycas revoluta (the big ones are over 5 feet tall now)

Cardboard palm - Zamia furfuracea
John C

Post by John C »

Awesome Cycads! They look really nice!
"Where the West begins"
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

I have tons of baby coontie from my the seed from my plants. If you want some let me know and I can send them to you.