Contest 56 : Discussion and related Pictures

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
Jens

Contest 56 : Discussion and related Pictures

Post by Jens »

This is the place to talk about the pictures and topics of the running contest. Have fun doing it.

iann

Post by iann »

I don't have a lot of Argentinians, and I can't believe this one wasn't my pick for the contest. From Banos de Lajas, San Juan province.
--ian
Jens

Post by Jens »

Pyrrhocactus villicumensis isn´t it?
They both have beautiful flowers. I personally would have picked the photo ot T. geometricans too.
Those flowers are unusully pretty and a good contrast to the rather shaggy apearance of the plant body. And they are hard to flower aren´t they?
Jens

Post by Jens »

Red on green what a clash!
Great plant Daiv
Jens

Post by Jens »

Very nice flower Ralf! I always missed mine when it flowered. :|

Echinopsis (from Argentina) can be nice plants too - allthough it´s not my favourite genusImage

Two Hybrids
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ralf,
I almost posted the same species because that was my first to flower from seed, but the pictures were not good "indoor" shots - so I went with the Tunilla.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Jens wrote:Pyrrhocactus villicumensis isn´t it?
They both have beautiful flowers.
Absolutely. Eriosyce villicumensis :lol: Although it came labelled as P. megliolii. This is collection VS29 which Ralpha Martin's database now shows as P. villicumensis.

This was the first flower from seed at 2 1/2 years old, and it wasn't a fluke. It is now covered in buds and several other seedlings have buds too.
Jens wrote:I personally would have picked the photo ot T. geometricans too.
Those flowers are unusully pretty and a good contrast to the rather shaggy apearance of the plant body. And they are hard to flower aren´t they?
I find them hard to flower and I think they are generally quite reluctant in the UK. A surprising number of growers this year have flowers. Many of them attribute this to the cold winter, but then most of them heat their greenhouses so I don't know :? Maybe more people are growing them :)
--ian
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

Is this Argentinian? Don't want to enter it if it isn't...Image
Jens

Post by Jens »

Nice cactus there, I´m not really sure where it´s from/ what it is, because I´m not into Echinopsis very much. Does it have a lable in the pot ?

In general I would think it would be sufficient enough for a photo to qualify for this picture contest if the species can be found somewhere in Argentina. It doesn´t necesarily need a field number or other habitate data to it.
It is a contest for nice pictures after all. :D
iann

Post by iann »

I'm going to guess it is a hybrid Echinopsis.
--ian
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Got this recently from Woody as Gymnocalycium riojense. Very nice plant, but I doubt the ID because it has too many radials and even one central spine.
Any idea what it might be?Image
Jordi
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

I have a similar plant from Miles labeled riojense, but as you point out there are features that dont fit the original description. Here it is last week.

Jens

Post by Jens »

@cookie173: since many if not most Echinopsis species indeed are from Argentina, I ´m saying this would be a legal entry for the argentinnian cacti contest.

@Buck: You really do like this plant, don´t you (in fact I do too).

@Jordi and Bryan:
This what I got on ebay for G. riojense Image, but don´t know if it comes closer to the original description. I presume it won´t nearly flower that nice though 8)
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

@Jens
You'll enjoy the coming blossoms!

@Daiv
It's so easy to grow this species. Every blossom produce so many seeds. They germinate and grow very quick without any problems.
It's a good species to get experiences with sowing if you don't have any therewith.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Jens

Post by Jens »

Just for inspiration: here are some more inhabitants of Argentina.