Opuntia in outdoor pots

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Neko Bazu

Opuntia in outdoor pots

Post by Neko Bazu »

I have two opuntia that currently grow in my mini-greenhouse (O. macrocentra and C. imbricata), but they're starting to outgrow the shelf space available (as they do :roll:). Since I know those two are tough as old boots, I'm planning to move them out of the greenhouse on a permanent basis, but I'd like to make sure that I'm doing it right!

They'll be against a south-facing wall, plenty of sunlight etc, as they are currently. Will my regular substrate be good enough though, given how much rain the UK tends to see, or will I have to work on something specifically for them? Would they need notably larger pots, to help prevent 'drowning', or do normal rules apply? Are there any pointers I should particularly be careful of?

I know I'd probably be better off planting them in a proper bed, but by this time next year I'll hopefully be in a new house, so I'd rather avoid having to dig them back up if I can!
Sometimes, the world makes more sense when viewed upside-down...

Carpe cerevisiam, carpe dementum, carpe solum!
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Your both Opuntia are absolutely winter hardy. They'll better grow the whole year outdoor. You can grow them in large pots or planted in a flowerbed.
The substrate therefor should be very porous and permeable for water. Maybe a rain shelter for the wintertime. That's all.

winter hardy cacti
Cylindropuntia imbricata
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook