Feeding Melon Cactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
fred

Feeding Melon Cactus

Post by fred »

Hi Yall,

Should a Melocactus in cephalium be fertilized? I mixed a generous spoonful of bone meal into the potting mix when I potted it up in early spring. Now it is in cephalium and has produced a few blooms. Sould I hit it once with cactus fertilizer (1-7-7) before cool weather comes? It is still quite hot. :?:
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I'm still fertilizing mine here in SC where it is still hot also. I suspect in the next 3 to 4 weeks I will slow down. Keep in mind that I fertilize at every watering with 1/4 strength diluted liquid Schultz..
Bill in SC
fred

Post by fred »

Hi Bill

What I am wondering about is the fact that once a Melo develops a cephalium the body of the cactus stops growing...So does it still need fertilizer if its not growing? I wouldnt think much. I use Schultz cactus plus. I make it just a tad weaker than recommended. It is only 1-7-7. :?
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

That is a great question Fred, and one I can only take an educated guess at. The cephalium will grow for quite some time after it develops, and would probably benefit from nutrients. The blooms and fruit would also benefit from the fertilizer. Just because a plant has all it's body size/mass does not mean it does not like to be fed..
Bill in SC
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Yep, the nutrients are also used for flower development and sickness prevention.
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks Bill and Michiel. I guess with all that water Ive been giving it the bonemeal is a thing of the past anyway. Tomorrow Im hitting it with the Schultz! :)