New Greenhouse!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
CaesiumFluoride

New Greenhouse!

Post by CaesiumFluoride »

Hey guys

Just looking for some advice.

All my cacti are currently in the house, and thriving but they're taking over!!

Im looking at buying a greenhouse for them all, but I am a bit concerned.

The first thing that strikes me is being in the UK - frosts! Now clearly this can be overcome by a thermostat heater etc, but are there any more concerns I need to worry about? Ie. are there more pest problems to worry about? Is there anything I need to seriously consider?

Thanks for your time.
--
CaesiumFluoride
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Is this greenhouse something you plan to keep plants in all year? Some people keep hardier varieties out all year, but still move others inside for the winter.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
phil_SK

Re: New Greenhouse!

Post by phil_SK »

CaesiumFluoride wrote:The first thing that strikes me is being in the UK - frosts!
You could restrict yourself to the types that will cope with dry cold or do what I have done for most of the years I've been growing (thought that will have to change this year, I think) and that's to bring them indoors in the winter. Provided you've given them a chance to dry out completely, and consequently to stop growing, 99% of cacti and many other succulents will be fine indoors pretty much anywhere that isn't heated to 'comfortable' (so not the living room). Do you have a spare bedroom? Mine have lived on wardrobes, under tables, on shelves well away from windows and usually do fine. Where I used to live, they spent winters in an unlit cellar (not that I would recommend it!).
CaesiumFluoride

Post by CaesiumFluoride »

Hmm they are in the spare bedroom(s) at the moment, but I have a large collection of around 30 or so, and ive just planted lots of seed so i'm thinking ahead.

Im thinking more of it been a home for them all year round.

Clearly some species will not tolerate the coldm so it would be on a plant by plant basis, and I dont mind bringing the odd one in for the winter.

What about these oil greenhouse heaters? Or temperature regulators? Are they any good?
--
CaesiumFluoride
vbforvendetta

Post by vbforvendetta »

Hi CF, I'm no expert but I have a greenhouse, the polycarbonate kind 6x6. I think the only successful way of heating a greenhouse for cacti is electric with a thermostat. I tried the parafin heaters but they're no good, and not as cheap to run as you're led to believe. My greenhouse is too far down the bottom of the garden to get electric to without it costing a few pound, but if you're able to I think that'd be your best bet.I'm not sure what the tube heaters are like, but a fan heater with a thermostat will keep the air moving and probably won't need to be on 24/7.
I move my cacti back in doors during winter, I tried last winter to keep a few in the greenhouse (unheated)but lost all but one. Agaves are fine though if you have any.
Good luck! :)
Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism. We are the vandals.