Outdoor Cacti in AL

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
gogreen

Outdoor Cacti in AL

Post by gogreen »

I currently reside in mid-Alabama, I thought I was being smart and plant a ton of succulents this year since it is ALWAYS deadly hot and humid here and never rains. Well go figure, the year I decide to get smart, it has literally rained every single day! I did atleast plant them in pots so I've been able to move them around and such but I've been so aggravated. Yesterday, I made a ton of "hot pots" (ceramic/terracota/metal pots that will hold heat) and transferred them all from the plastic pots they were in, into the hot pots. Literally every time I sit them out in the sun it starts to rain a few hours later! I guess I'm just wondering if there is some sort of cover/material that I could put over them that would allow sunlight in but keep water out??
Also, in the front yard I have 4 cacti in big plastic pots and I am wondering if I should just go ahead and plant them in the ground or what?
Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You can certainly put a roof over them to keep rain out:

Here is on of our member's web sites showing his setup:

http://www.kakteensammlung-holzheu.de/e ... cacti.html

There are others from tropical Asia and elswhere that have posted images of rain shelters.

You might not need to do that, however. If you have warm enough temps, they will appreciate the rain - especially some of the non-cactus types. Winter is the time you might worry about it. The combination of cold and wet is the real killer.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti