Recommendations please...

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
cactihunter

Recommendations please...

Post by cactihunter »

Hi all

My cacti are loving the weather in the uk at the moment and so am I 8)...but I am very aware of the impending winter and how cold it was here last year. The temperature was hitting -10c (14f) here overnight and not getting over 0 (32f) daytime for a period of about 2 weeks. Either side of those two weeks, it was maybe 5c warmer but with the same kind of swing. Minus temps are expected usually for about 2 months. Not constant and usually the daytime temps are at least single figures. It was exceptional but I guess I have to bank on the worst rather than the best to minimise damage. :roll:

I am planning on a Greenhouse before autumn, want to tuck em up for the winter, I currently have a cheap polytunnel (boy was that an epic fail of a purchase) but have some questions as I have not had a greenhouse before and want to right rather than replace. I have over 100 plants so inside isn't an option sadly.

Firstly, anyone in the UK have a recommended supplier or brand that I should have a look at?

Or the best type of greenhouse that I should search for? I have seen some Ali and Poly greenhouses quite reasonably priced (but have the feeling that if I think the price is reasonable, it is probably cheap and therefore not up to the job :lol: ) These ones don't come with a base and when I spoke to the supplier, he said it secures to the ground with tent type pegs but I could use a wooden plinth if I wanted???

We are happy to put in a concrete base if needed or lay flags but as a novice to this I wanted some advice about the best way to go about this. Oh and the space I have is approx 3.5m by 2m (although I could pinch a little more space but don't tell my OH :-$ )

Your advice is much appreciate in advance :wink:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
hob

Post by hob »

hi for any greenhouse there is a lot to think about, have a look here

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19305
for an overview on a new one

and here for 2nd hand on a tight budget

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19302

hob
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
cactihunter

Post by cactihunter »

Wow hob! What a thread, its given me lots of tips and ideas. I was going to leave the leveling and foundations to the other half and father in law but actually, I think I can do that now...not that it wont be hard work but I am guessing with a bit of graft and dedication...

I am looking at a 8'x12' greenhouse and possibly I am going to have to look at a leanto or conservatory at the back too. I have a feeling I am not going to get away with my collection on the dining table for any long period of time :lol:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
hob

Post by hob »

a conservatory is a good idea if you can afford one, heating a greenhouse can be expensive i keep all my tender plants in mine in the winter as it has electric and is insulated, much cheaper to heat :)

incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.