behold the evil spikes

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
prickledfingers

behold the evil spikes

Post by prickledfingers »

This cactus is known to family and friends as the evil cactus. We've had it for years, and I wont go near it, because of its evilness. You only have to get close to it to find your hand covered in tiny little red spikes. We moved it out to the greenhouse and dad repotted it. I have spent two weeks pulling out its spines from my fingers and I didn't even touch it. I took this photo from outside the greenhouse behind the safe glass.

You can see all the loose tiny red spikes, they look like harmless fluff but are evil and irratate the skin. Somehow I'm actually quite fond of this cactus *shrugs* just don't ask me to go anywhere near it.

Heres the full cactus: http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n254 ... tus036.jpg
~Hope
hob

Post by hob »

i would guess that it's one of these. but not the Angels Wings variety, i keep mine right in the far corner of my sunroom out of the way :lol:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hello-

I wonder if it might be Opuntia rufida, the so-called "blind pear." The common name is as it is because the wind picks up in south Texas, and the glochids get into cows' eyes, and they are eventually blinded by the injuries.

Peterb
prickledfingers

Peterb - I've been calling it an Opuntia rufida for a while now. You really only have to be like within 4 inches of it to get spiked.

hob - mines in the far corner of the greenhouse, it used to be by a window and no one would dare try to open/close the window cause of it!

I'll have to find out how tall it is, over a ft for certain, never seen it flower though :(
~Hope
ecoli73

Post by ecoli73 »

Wish I read this before I bought one just now...

I am working on removing red spines now.

They sell under the common name "Desert Gem" I guess sales wouldn't do so good if it carries warning label "Warning: Spines will cause blindness in Cows"
hablu

Post by hablu »

But... they are nice to have. The best way to deal with them is to moist before doing anything with it. When i repot or something I take some newspapers in my hands. the gloccids don't go through it. Harry
prickledfingers

time to invest in some good tweezers and heavey duty gardening gloves (not that they'll stop the spikes, just some of them).
~Hope
prickledfingers

Harry - I only recently heard the thing about wetting them making it better. Newpapers... would never have thought of that, with it being so big now though I might have to create me a newpaper armour suit... but hopefully it wont need repotting again for ages yet.
~Hope
hob

Post by hob »

a sheet of newspaper folded into a long strip and wrapped round it can be usefull if you need to repot or handle it :)
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
hablu

Post by hablu »

Hope, not gloves, but newspapers or something like that.after using throw them immediatly away. the gloccids will go in the outside of the glove. When you put them out, you forget about it. after a while (or week) you pick up your gloves and then the goccids will get you after all. Harry
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Here's the white spined form of O. microdasys.
There is also a yellow spined form. Their glochids have tiny barbs at the tips as do Opuntia spines in general. that's why they hang on like they do!

(Click me!)

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
prickledfingers

Harry - They went straight through my dads gloves heh, he's still pulling them out of his hands! Though he made a larger mistake, he repotted it in the greenhouse, so I've been picking them up of everything from in there.
~Hope
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

My father has one its mean as you cant feel them go in and a few moments later your itching the explioted area.

But i was reading some info some where and microdasys glochids are used as an ingredient of itching powder.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hi Hope,

Yep, looks like O. rufida to me and yes the gochlids are a force to reckon with. Misting them with water will help keep them under control when repotting or moving it.
As for handling opuntias the best tool I've found is a pair or two of tongs :wink:
Since I collect opuntiods I've become accustomed to sharp spines and gochlids.
The spines on this Opuntia will stick you, stab you and make you look like you've been in a cat fight :shock:
click it
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- found this electron micro pic of an opuntia glochid:

happy scratching....

Peterb