Euphorbia milii damage

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
hablu

Euphorbia milii damage

Post by hablu »

I broke off a piece of my Euph. milii. The branche is about 10 cm (about 4 inch). How long do I have to wait for potting it up. Treat it just like a cactus-branche? Please some advice. Harry
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Harry, two or three days should be long enough. Euphorbia tend to callous over pretty quickly because of the latex they exude. Normally it should root fairly quickly but it is getting towards the end of the season, although in the right conditions (warmth) it will grow and flower all the year round and should not drop its leaves. In practice of course this does not alway happen.

John
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Well, I've tried to root tens of cuttings of Euphorbia's, and only one rooted. Probably too cold or too dry...
fred

Post by fred »

Yall this is really bizzare but a lady on the other forum swears that she has great success rooting crown of thorns in a glass of water! :shock:
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Fred,

Yes that is a viable option. The odd one will just rot but about 70% do throw roots.

John
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

I've seen this with Crassula ovata too, but then you get strange roots, I don't know how to describe them...
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

I have found E milii very east to root. Just stick 'em in the dirt.
Bill in SC
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I agree with Bill. We just wait until the latex is dry, 2 days max., "stick'em in the dirt", wait one watering cycle (whether 3 days or 3 weeks) and water just as if they were mature plants.

Stem euphorbias are a different story. They will root in mid spring when the weather starts to heat up. You can cut and plant a E. ingens now and it will root happily in May, or you can cut it in May and it will root happily in May.
Buck Hemenway
fred

Post by fred »

What do you mean by stem Euphorbias Buck? :?
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Plants such as E. ingens, E. pseudocactus, etc. Basically the kind that have green skin tones and are angle branched with the signature 2 pronged thorns.
Buck Hemenway
fred

Post by fred »

I see. Thanks.
hablu

Post by hablu »

safety first. I choose the dirt. Thank you all. Harry