My Minnesota Garden 2011

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Tom2643

My Minnesota Garden 2011

Post by Tom2643 »

I made a trip back up to MN to see my parents and weed out my cactus garden (actually the trip was mostly to weed out the garden...my mom called two weeks earlier and said I needed to come weed the garden or she was going to rip it out...). It seems they've really been enjoying the rain this spring followed by the a month without rain and blistering hot temperatures...anyways I got a few pictures!

I ended up cutting out about half a trash can full of pads. These got donated to one of my former co-workers who is starting her own cactus garden.

My Ephedra plant survived the winter unscathed! I'm so excited because I had no idea there were even any hardy Ephedera to zone 4

My Echinocereus triglochidatus also seems to be a big winner this summer...all those small offsets are new. One day it might even flower for me... hopefully before I'm 60 years old.

And last but not least an overall shot of the bulk of the garden. The three big plants were each cut back by nearly half. They were starting to smother my hens-and-chicks and other assorted succulents. It really does look a lot better now that it's back under control.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Nice looking patch of cactus. 8)
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Looks good!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)