Euphorbia lactea cristata...Where To Cut?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
barry593

Euphorbia lactea cristata...Where To Cut?

Post by barry593 »

Hello all,
I recently purchased a small Euphorbia lactea cristata "Alabaster Swirl" from a nursery.When I opened it I found the pot had fallen off during shipping...a blessing in disguise...I hope.The entire bottom of the plant was soft,rotting ,dark brown skin with extremely wet common potting soil clinging to what roots remained.Can I take cuttings from the top part of this plant? I don't know how or where to do this or if I can.Sorry for no photos,no camera.I know the general procedure...cut,dry for ten days and plant calloused side in dry soil for a few weeks?I don't know where to cut.I have this ad photo and can say mine is same size(4"pot),looks healthy on top with a few small brown hard spots...worth trying to save?...I thank you for any help and for any advise,thanks!

Barry
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi Barry,
what a pity -- what a lovely plant! Looks like your plant is crest-shaped, so I don't think you can get cutlings.

What I would do: get rid of all the soil so that the roots are bare. Cut off all rotten roots, better too many than not enough. Cut off the soft, rotting parts of the plants, too, until you have healthy flesh only. Then let the plant rest in the shadow, until callused and rested -- I would give it at least a week. On repotting use a very good draining soil and a pot with big holes in the bottom. Then the usual procedure with at least two weeks without water... You know the game, don't you?

Let's keeep fingers crossed!
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.