Help with I.D.

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Cacti Kid

Help with I.D.

Post by Cacti Kid »

Angus

Post by Angus »

the second one is an Euphorbia
Günther.
For those about to grow succulents, we salute you!
hablu

Post by hablu »

1. i think a Crassula
2. Looks a Monadenium ritchei (corked)
3. front: ?Graptopetalum rubra?
middle: Sedum pachyphyllum
back; Pachyphytum glauca
greets Harry
Cacti Kid

Post by Cacti Kid »

Thanks...
No idea what kind of crassula? Ive been looking around trying to identify that plant forever and havent found anything. I got it at walmart in one of those little 1/2 inch clay pots. I didnt think it would be anything spectacular but to my suprise it grew into a plant I am now very fond of. I would like to put a name to it, but I guess its not that important.
peterb

Post by peterb »

hi Cacti Kid

I wonder if that Crassula might be a cultivar of the more common jade plant? Or perhaps a hybrid. It has much about it that resonates with Crassula ovata (argentea)....

peterb
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

The second one looks like Euphorbia bupleurifolia to me.

John
hablu

Post by hablu »

Yes, that's better. Harry
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

All,

I just looked at the three E. bupleurifolia in my collection and none of the leaves have serrated edges. In addition, the leaves on Cacti Kid's plant look too fleshy to me for that ID. It may well be a Euphorbia, but I don't know which.

I think that plant number one (1397) may be an Aeonium. Has it ever bloomed for you Cacti? There are so many similar looking plants in the Aeonium/Crassula/Echeveria groups, that it is very difficult to pin some of them down. This is a very attractive plant and a treasure for you.
Buck Hemenway
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

For the first one, I agree with Buck. There is a remarkable new website on aeonium if you want to look at the pictures :
http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/aeonium/h ... tegory.php
Dominique
Cacti Kid

Post by Cacti Kid »

Here is another picture if it helps any.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/ ... 0_1402.jpg
The second one is a cutting I got from a plant that was labled euphorbia something, but I didnt write it down and dont remember what it was. Thanks for everyones help trying to identify my crassula/ aeonium, your all a smart bunch and im sure we will figure it out. :D
Cacti Kid

Post by Cacti Kid »

Ooh...I should have looked at that website before I posted that last reply. I cant read any of it but Im between glutinosum, volkeri and decorum. Im leaning a bit more towards decorum myself, what does everyone else think? Thanks alot for that website Dominique, I think this mistery is coming to a close thanks to you. Also, what kind of rest should this plant get? should the leaves drop or do they stay on?
I didnt give it a rest last year because I didnt know what it needed. And I havent seen flowers yet Buck, probly because no rest.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Cacti,

They are intermittant bloomers at best. Here's a pic from that site that comes very close. It is as you suspect A. decorum.

Here in California, they grow best in spring and fall. Summer's too hot and winter's too cold. Some other midwest enthusiasts can give you a better idea. They will not survive the cold there, outdoors. A nice southern facing window would do.

You need to be careful regarding overwatering. The trunk of the shrub that you have should be more stout. The color is very interesting, semi-dormant. The new growth will be a little more green when it is very happily growing.
Buck Hemenway