Unknown Succulent

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
hegar

Unknown Succulent

Post by hegar »

As part of my work I was mailed a few digital images of what looks to me like a succulent.
When I received the stem pieces, the papery skin was becoming rather loose. Puncturing the stem by pricking it with a probe did not result in either a white latex-like liquid to be displayed or any other unusual coloration of sap to show up.
The plant pieces were entered from Mexico and I assume, that the plant is either native to that country or naturalized.
The leaves measure 2 cm x 1/2 cm (1 inch by 1/4 inch).
I have been looking through hundreds of images of succulents but cannot find anything that matches what is pictured below. I had been thinking, that it could be some species of Bursera, but that genus is most likely not correct.
Thank you very much for your input. Perhaps someone on this forum will recognize this plant.

Harald

lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Harald,
Is the plant in the first two pics the same plant as in the last three pics?

The plant in the first two pics seems to have the classic growth pattern of a Jatropha, maybe J. gossypiifolia or one of the true Mexican species? Just a wild guess :)

-R
hegar

Post by hegar »

Yes, I am told, that it is the same plant. However, with the various stem pieces being photographed as such and not having seen them attached to each other, nobody but the importer can tell for sure, if we are dealing with two different plant genera or not.

Harald

P.S.: Jatropha sounds like a possible "hit". I shall go and check this genus out some more tomorrow.