Haworthias

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Bruce

Haworthias

Post by Bruce »

I've recently 'discovered' Haworthias and they seem to be perfect for growing under my fluorescent lights. I bought a couple locally and then a "10-plants for $20" assortment from Mesa Garden (nice deal, that :thumbright:). So I'm starting off with a bunch of 'em.

I've been trying to do my homework as to their light and watering requirements. As usual, I'm getting mixed results from the internet. One source says that they grow from April to November with a rest in July to mid-August. Another doesn't mention any rest periods at all - summer or winter. The first source talks about them growing in partial shade, the other talks about bright light. They agree that too much water will quickly rot the roots (d'uh!).

Anybody had some practical experience with growing them indoors?

Thanks~
Bruce
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Bruce,

We're strictly outdoor growers, but the short dormant period in deep summer is due to excess heat. They will just shut down and be just as ready to rot as when they are winter dormant. If you grow indoors all year, then the dormancy factors will be nearly non-existant. Watering regimen is the key. They want a good soak, fast drainage and allow to go nearly completely dry.

I've seen flats of Haworthias that hadn't been watered in 2 years (they got some rain in a shade house, but not much and none for as much as 8 months straight) just spring back to life when watered. I'm sure that not all need exactly the same culture, so you are about to become an expert.
Buck Hemenway
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Hi Bruce, I grow my Haworthias,of which I am very fond, exclusively indoors and have over-wintered them just once ( I am a newbie with Cacti and Succulents) but Buck's advice
Watering regimen is the key. They want a good soak, fast drainage and allow to go nearly completely dry.
Is it in a nutshell :)
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- I love Haworthias! In particular it's possible to grow them in quite a bit of shade, or you can grow them very hard in a lot of light. It's an aesthetic choice. Haworthia habitat photos often show some pretty gnarly looking tough specimens.

peterb
perrycornish

Post by perrycornish »

Hi Peter, the ability of Haworthia to tolerate shade is a real bonus for me, here in the north-west of the UK it's harder to find sun :wink: I also love there diversity of form.
Perry

'No-one can make me feel inferior without my consent'

Eleanor Roosevelt
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

In Phoenix, I grow several hawarthias indoors (and a few outside as well). I still have trouble with the summer dormancy thing even with the indoor specimens. So I am very careful with water from late June-August (also in winter months). After good spring growth, I notice that the roots are very firm in the soil. During the summer dormancy, I always check the root firmness before I water (by wiggling the plant gently), since all the problems I have had started with roots rotting away while the plant still looked normal above the soil. If the roots seem a little looser than I think they should be, I dont water. If the looseness get worse, I pull the plant out of the soil and inspect the roots and let it dry out completely. I dont know if this will help in your climate, hope so, but good luck and happy growing!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Buck Hemenway wrote:.. so you are about to become an expert.
Urk. That sounds a lot like "May you live in interesting times!" 8-[ :D

Thanks, everybody. If I'm reading you all correctly, it seems like they probably won't go truly dormant in the normal winter/mid-summer periods (maybe just slow up a bit?) but that I've got to be really careful with the water just in case they do? It sounds like fun winter. :-k 8)
Last edited by Bruce on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

My mentor in the business of cacti & succulents has told me repeatedly over time that you really don't know your plants until a few don't survive. His point of view is that under the conditions in which each person grows his plants, there are limits that the plant will accept, both over care and under care.

You will become an expert in growing Haworthias in your conditions by working at keeping them alive. Each of us tests our own collections the same way. We all look forward to seeing bowls full of Haworthia heads in future posts from you.
Buck Hemenway