Is this a Neochilenia?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Steve Johnson

Is this a Neochilenia?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hello, all!

After being away from cacti for a lot of years, I'm back into it again with a small collection. I have some really nice plants from the California Cactus Center, although I'm a bit puzzled about this one. It was originally identified as a Neochilenia (or is that Neochilena?) sp. Frankly, I'm stumped, so here's a photo:

I also have another question about this cactus and some small reddish-brown spots that started appearing a few weeks ago. All of my plants are under shade cloth, and as far as I can tell, everything is getting just the right amount of water. Here's how the Neochilenia (or whatever it is) looks like:

Are these little spots normal, or is there a problem I need to address? I'd really appreciate any help on what may be going on. By the way, I live in Los Angeles in case this might help.

Thanks so much!

Steve
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

What is the size of the plant/flower? My first thought was Turbinicarpus.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

luddhus wrote:What is the size of the plant/flower? My first thought was Turbinicarpus.
The large plant is about 1 3/4", and it flowered a few times over the summer at about 1" or so. Also, the plant has three seedlings that came with it in the pot from the California Cactus Center. The largest seedling is 1/2" or so, and it also flowered a few times. This is a really interesting cactus, and my thought is Turbinicarpus as you mentioned. However, what stumped me is the fact that the California Cactus Center specifically gave it the tag on Neochilena. Ideas, anyone?

Steve
iann

Post by iann »

Classic Turbinicarpus flower. And classic Turbinicarpus to flower at the size of a pinprick. The few somewhat papery spines are also Turbinicarpus.

The appearance is slightly unusual because it is so brown, has no spines on the older tubercles, is very flattened (dehydrated), and doesn't have wool at the apex.

At a guess I'd go with T. macrochele var polaskii. T. jauernigii is often that colour and quite flat but usually flowers just once in autumn. T. lophophoroides tends to lose spines and flower throughout the summer but is usually very woolly.
--ian
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I agree, T. polaskii.
You must be local, if you havent heard, check out the San Gabriel CSS show and sale this weekend at the LA Arboretum.