Identification of cacti from seed

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
chodamoyer

Re: Identification of cacti from seed

Post by chodamoyer »

Hi cacti Guys and Gals,

Today I repotted my cacti. The pictures are here for you to enjoy. I have labled them with the same system as previous years/posts so you can compare and judge growth and development. cacti number 2 has seen the biggest changes from being almost dead to what you see today which is a two headed monster with a healthy root system.

In the past some of the smaller cacti in pots 1 and 4 had died so I removed those. I was worried about the smaller cacti dying in pots 4 which had two seperate thriving cacti, so I decided to seperate them during the transplant. It was a bit hairy but with gentle shaking of dry dirt and gentle prying with a skinny letter opener I was succesfully able to seperate the roots as you can see in the pictures. After todays repot and seperation I have five total pots with each pot having one and only one plant. The new pot is labed as pot 0 in the pictures.

One note of worry is that pot 1 didn't seem to have a very robust root system compared to all the other cacti. It was the first pot I transplanted so I didn't inspect it very well so it is possible it has a healthy root system I just didn't notice. When I opened up pot 2 I saw the big roots as documented in the pictures and that is when I started to worry about the already transplanted number 1. I decided not to fool with number 1 again and just moved on.

Please enjoy the pictures and make any comments including identification comments if you wish.

Regards...
1photo7.JPG
1photo7.JPG (48.42 KiB) Viewed 647 times
2photo4.JPG
2photo4.JPG (53 KiB) Viewed 647 times
3photo5.JPG
3photo5.JPG (62.67 KiB) Viewed 647 times
4photo3.JPG
4photo3.JPG (71.2 KiB) Viewed 647 times
5photo8.JPG
5photo8.JPG (58.33 KiB) Viewed 647 times
6photo6.JPG
6photo6.JPG (49.42 KiB) Viewed 647 times
7photo2.JPG
7photo2.JPG (37.38 KiB) Viewed 647 times
8photo.JPG
8photo.JPG (47.76 KiB) Viewed 647 times
chodamoyer

Post by chodamoyer »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Here is an UPDATE for you! today is November 9th 2013. I just took some pictures of my cacti and have attached them here.

This thread is getting difficult to follow, but I want to keep it together so you can see the growth over the last few years.

I have total 5 plants numbered 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. I labeled them appropriately in the pictures so you can compare with the labels of the previous years pictures.

If you have any new identification ideas or you want to reiterate your past thoughts baed on today's new pictures you can post them and read what others have thought over the past years.

Let me know what you think, thank you.
Attachments
IMG_4709.jpg
IMG_4709.jpg (64.01 KiB) Viewed 626 times
IMG_4716.jpg
IMG_4716.jpg (79.21 KiB) Viewed 626 times
IMG_4712.jpg
IMG_4712.jpg (69.48 KiB) Viewed 626 times
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

0 - Carnegiea gigantea
1 - Ferocactus sp.
2 - Carnegiea gigantea
3 - Ferocactus sp.
4 - Echinocactus grusonii
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Great job & dedication! You're "officially" out of the "newbie" ranks -- if we ever leave it :wink: !
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
chodamoyer

Post by chodamoyer »

Welll .... it has been a cool 10 years since my last update!

That is a long time with a lot of change (especially for me)! I am excited to share with you the most recent pictures I have of these cacti. It is soo awesome that not only has it been a long time and yet these plants are still alive but also this same exact thread and forum are alive. As I had forgotten about this website I am stoked that I was able to stumble upon it again almost in an accident. Plus remembering your password after 10 years has to be miracle. :lol:

Thank you to all the posters from the past. Let me reply to the last two.

CactusFanDan : your post seemed to be the consensus and what I have taken as the verdict for the past 10 years. thank you
CactusFanDan wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:00 pm 0 - Carnegiea gigantea
1 - Ferocactus sp.
2 - Carnegiea gigantea
3 - Ferocactus sp.
4 - Echinocactus grusonii
hoteidoc: that is really nice of you to say and put a smile on my face 10 years ago and today again as well. much appreciated.

I stuck with the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 numbering system so you can compare from 10 years ago.

I probably should have made a group photo but I wasn't thinking about posting when I took the pictures yesterday. Sorry, I also should have put a ruler stick in the photo to give you an idea of height but I missed out on that as well for now. I am estimating in the ball park of 8 inches. If there is enough interest I can line up the pots and take another picture with a ruler for you.

So cool to see these plants. Re-reading the thread number 2 looked dead on November 11th 2011. What a freaking turn around with its "two heads"

After 12 or 13 years if anyone believes the identification consensus posted by CactusFanDan should be updated . Please let me know!

These pictures do not do these cacti justice.
Attachments
0.JPG
0.JPG (151.7 KiB) Viewed 314 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (140.07 KiB) Viewed 314 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (167.54 KiB) Viewed 314 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (139.86 KiB) Viewed 314 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (169.3 KiB) Viewed 314 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Pretty cool you came back. Do you bring your plants outside in the summer?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
chodamoyer

Post by chodamoyer »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:38 am Pretty cool you came back. Do you bring your plants outside in the summer?
Hi Jerry,

No they stay by the same window year round. There are other plants that get moved outside every summer and that is enough work. Also things tend to get too big and need bigger pots then end up being a hassle to carry outside again the following years. Keeping them inside year round is almost a bonzai style and hands off approach. It is just what has worked for me and my family but it isn't something I would recommend right off. Over the years I have transplanted, rotated, and moved the pots to clean but all in the same southern facing window area. Some were leaning and had to be propped with a stick. I am afraid if they were ever moved it would disrupt what has been working. I fear the day they will need to be moved as that will indicate a major shift both for them and maybe my family as well.

thank you for the response!
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Great changing in years! 👍 It would be wiser to plant them at last outside somewhere in southern states eg Cal. 😀
chodamoyer

Post by chodamoyer »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:24 am Great changing in years! 👍 It would be wiser to plant them at last outside somewhere in southern states eg Cal. 😀
Yeah that would be great but only if I moved to California. These plants are part of the family so I personally can't part from them unless it would become unreasonable to keep them anymore.