Wanted Opuntia Joconostle/ Xoconostle

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
azcactuz

Wanted Opuntia Joconostle/ Xoconostle

Post by azcactuz »

Hi, wondering if anyone has Opuntia Xoconostle or Joconostle (sour prickly pear fruit). The fruit is typically sold in Hispanic markets. I have planted some seeds but thought I would save me the trouble and see if anyone has some pads already. Let me know.

I am also looking for Pereskiopsis spathulata for grafting. Thanks.

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Opu ... joconostle
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

how is that different then O. ficus-indica or is it the same thing with the fruits picked when they aren't totally ripe?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

Xoconostle is a variety of Opuntia ficus indica. There is not one kind of ficus indica. There are some mainly used for vegetable and others have yellow fruit common in Peru or others grown mainly for fruit.Xoconostle fruits may not produce true from seed because ficus indica is a domesticated hybrid and the seeds can be variable in taste texture and sweetness. I have several ficus indica varieties but not the xoconostle.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Ok. I do know that O. ficus-indica is a hybrid. I have seen a few "different" types that mostly have different shaped/sized pads.
Some our rounded and others are slender and skinny.
the naturalized ones around me have orange flowers and large fruits that are sweet, and turn a dark green color on the outside when they are ripened.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.