need help - big flowering Cactus in my garden

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
hayder

need help - big flowering Cactus in my garden

Post by hayder »

I want to trim it but I don't know how to start and what i should avoid when i do that!!!
apfire

Post by apfire »

Very nice, when you trim it can I get a cutting?
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
hayder

Post by hayder »

sure you can! you can take as much as you like.. :D
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

It's a Cereus species of some sort. Probably just file it under C. peruvianus, it's a catch all name.

To trim it...call a friend or 2!
You could use an old towel or scrap carpet and cradle the stem you wish to cut in such a way that it will balance out and not counter swing and hit you when cut from the plant ;) Those stems will be pretty heavy. Cut where it connects to a main stem, ie; at the joint. You'll probably need a heavy duty set of cutters or even a hand saw. It's not poisonous but the spines and sheer weight of the stems do make it a bit dangerous. It's a cactus!

This may not be the best time of year to trim it, avoid trimming when it's forecast for rain. (depending on where you live, it could be spring!) Try to minimize any damage to the plant, as the more fresh flesh exposed, the more chance of rot and disease setting in. Try to dust all cuts with a sulphur powder.
hayder

Post by hayder »

Thanks heaps!! I will do it tomorrow, but i'm thinking of using the cuts in other places in my garden. do u think it's possible by just put in the ground and give it some water?
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

The cut stems will need time to dry and callous over a few weeks. Providing it's warm, spring/summer warm, then they can be planted in the garden, but no water until they've produced roots, which could be another few weeks or more. Signs of new growth will usually indicate when they've rooted.

Planting the cuts in fall/winter and giving them water right away will surely do them in. Store them in a dry, cool area over winter.
fixpix

Post by fixpix »

WOW, were you curious to count all those blooms and buds?
If THAT was mine, I wouldn't trim it at all as I'm sure it took a long time to grow that big and tall.
:roll:
daiv
Site Admin

Re: need help - big flowering Cactus in my garden

Post by daiv »

hayder wrote: what i should avoid when i do that!!!
Avoid letting the pieces fall on you!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti