Becoming Worried re: my Aeonium urbicum

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
derf4three

Becoming Worried re: my Aeonium urbicum

Post by derf4three »

Hi Succulent Friends,

I'm starting to worry about my Aeonium urbicum and its contintual loss of leaves. Take a look at it at it's very best at my blog: http://www.internationalsucculentsofint ... gspot.com/

It's the second plant down. But it doesn't look like that anymore. The leaf head is down to maybe 8" across.

Last year I had another solitary stemmed Aeonium continually lose it's leaves until it was a 1" head, w/ no regrowth during the next growing season (I believe Aeonium's are summer dormant, correct?) I'm worried that this one will go thru the same process. What am I doing wrong???? Someone help me please.

Thanks so much,
David Emmons
Portland, OR
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

David,

Our aeoniums tend to be both winter and summer dormant, or rather, they just don't like it too hot or too cold. The weather in the Canary Islands is pretty mild all year. Our arborescent types tend to get very small in the summer and grow like crazy in the fall and then go small again in the winter and grow again in the spring. Species such as A. canariense and the other more shrub types are more tolerant of the weather, but quicker to show really strong dislike when it goes over the edge.

All of them are mealy bug prone. Have you checked the roots on yous plants? They also are very prone to rot when the roots are left wet during their down period.

I think yu'll find the stalk to be mushy on the one from last year. I'd suggest cutting it up to within a counple of inches of the head and reroot it. After checking this year's plant, you may wish to do the same. We grow and sell more than 500 aeonium plants of various species each year and re-rooting is how we make new plants.
Buck Hemenway