Grafting stock

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
templegatejohn

Grafting stock

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

Because of the weather in the US I suppose a number of you chaps don't feel the need to graft plants, but in England it is the norm for difficult or slow growing species. I have not done any grafting myself, but feel that one or two plants I have purchased e.g. (Sulcorebutia raushii) may benefit from it and I have been recommended to try Opuntia compressa (if I can get hold of one) as a grafting stock for small globular cacti. Has anyone used or had success with this plant as a stock.
mats_rolfson

Post by mats_rolfson »

John,
check this link:
http://www.cactus-art.biz/technics/Graf ... _index.htm

He seems to be convinced.

Cheers

/Mats
ericvj

Post by ericvj »

o. compressa is a good stock to graft to. i have a large bunch of s. raushii that is putting off a lot of pups and i will be grafting some of them to pereskiopsis, trichocereus pachanoi, myrtillocactus geometrizans, and possibly opuntia (though not compressa, just one i collected while hiking) as soon as it warms up a little here.

if you haven't been able to get ahold of any o. compressa, try one from this list i have posted on another site:

Cereus species
Echinocereus species (coccineus or triglochidiatus recommended)
Harrisia/Eriocereus (most common: grandiflora & jusbertii)
Hylocereus
Myrtillocactus geometrizans
Opuntia (compressa & fragilis recommended)
Pereskiopsis species
Trichocereus species

*this is not a complete list of suitable grafting stock, just the ones i like to use.
kari

Post by kari »

Hey y'all, another name for the O. compressa group is O. humifusa, just FYI in case you come across that name and don't give it a glance.

kari