Josh's 2012

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
*Barracuda_52*

Re: Josh's 2012

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

promethean_spark wrote:Today the first echinopsis/trichocereus bloomed. Trichocereus "1283.436-lobivioides 'grandiflorus' hybrids, huge colorful flowers" sown 10/06
And he's got siblings getting ready to join the party (all same batch except the tershekii at back left). Three are barrel-like and two are smaller and offset more.

WOW thats stunning, looks like the sun.. :D =D>
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
peterb

Post by peterb »

Beautiful plants! Love that Titanopsis.

peterb
Zone 9
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Mam saboae v saboae I only got this late last summer, but apparently it's okay with my winter regimen.
Buds:

Glandulocactus uncinatus

Trichocereus lobivioides 'grandiflorus' hybrids May be first flowers for two of these.

Escobaria orcuttii v koenigii SB92 - first flowers

It's going to be in the 80's for the next several days so I gave the first deep watering to much of the summer stuff today.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Beautiful! Especially love that Escobaria!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Josh,
nice plants. :) Those Tricho are pretty beautiful. :) lots of different colors :) I also liked the landscaping in the bed for the Trichos and and all the other plants in there :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
promethean_spark

There's enough rock in the top foot of my soil to cobblestone the whole yard like that, which makes it fortunate I like plants which are at home with rock mulch. Unfortunately we get a lot of winter rain, so I'm limited to the hardier specimens for that bed. I'm surprised the Echinocereus trig v inermis on the left has gotten through the winters.

Today was another first-timer - Oroya peruviana v depressa:
1123.291 oroya peruviana depressa j037 andahuaylaz 3800m flat stem - sown 2007

The Mammillaria elongata camp was also at it's peak.

Iann's not the only one with red new Echinocactus spines, I cheat though. ;)
When I grafted it to T. bridgesii, I also grafted the bottom half to C. peruvianus:

This Fero Johnstonianus is also growing rapidly on graft. It's 3yo sibling on own roots is still the size of a pea.
Last edited by promethean_spark on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

=D> nice oroya!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Amazing Oroya! Nice other plants as well! It's not cheating.....it's bending the rules! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
promethean_spark

First flowers of the year for escobaria minima.

And Astrophytum

This escobaria orcutti konegii flowered for the first time this year and is going bonkers.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice! I like the colors! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
promethean_spark

Sulc raushii 'cherry bomb' bloomed this week and probably peaked on Thurs/Fri. Sat I visited the GH mid-day and found I was a little late.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I know this is a "late" comment, but have trying to get caught up on CF ever since racetrack season started back end of April. And since no new posts since May... Like PeterB, love your Titanopsis. Gorgeous blossoms on the Oroya. It was probably 1st cactus I got for its blossoms. Bought a plant 4 yrs ago, & has grown slowly but still no blossoms :( . Spination is much thicker, but finer that yours. How old?
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

OK, I'll bite: what racetrack? From your location it could be horse or car. Sue
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Thoroughbred, Sue. Down to 7 race days -- wa-a-a-a-y too long a season. Did manage to lose 1st day of entire season to weather -- Wed. had 12" of snow + wind. We were back @ it Fri. even tho high was only 24F. Sorry, Josh.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Thanks Josh - just nosy. I used to train trotters(remember Batavia/Vernon Downs?) & have raced many times at Watkins Glen with my MGA & Jaguar. Lovely country. Sue