Should we update stuff?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
gemhunter178

Should we update stuff?

Post by gemhunter178 »

I was looking around on CactiGuide today and this is what's at the bottom of the page:

© 2002-2010, CactiGuide.com All rights reserved.

Isn't it 2012 already? or did we stop the copyright?
(Also (I know this is a hassle) but the "Nurserylinks" need some updating)
Anyone else notice anything in need of update?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
peterb

Post by peterb »

There are a great many of my early posts that used link throughs to photobucket and the pics are not on photobucket anymore. I have been meaning to go through and edit those, but I just never have time.

peterb
Zone 9
exotica

Re: Should we update stuff?

Post by exotica »

gemhunter178 wrote:…Anyone else notice anything in need of update?
The phpBB version is old. I don't know if it is related to that, but in the text editor I always get my emoticons inserted last (not at the cursor position).
Cheers, Andrey
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Should we update stuff?

Post by daiv »

gemhunter178 wrote:Anyone else notice anything in need of update?
I've got a list as long as your arm!

Here are just a few in no particular order:

-Update PHPBB version
-Add species images
-Finish adding genus descriptions
-increase detail level on distribution data
-add more publications to the nomenclature list
-more articles - (repotting, rooting cuttings, etc.)
-add private garden gallery feature
-more book reviews
-rework picture contest
-comparison function
-reskin entire site

The Nurserylink listings can be managed 100% by the nurseries, but none have ever done anything with it, so that whole thing will probably just go away.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

How about sticky-ing the "New Kind of Spam" thread? Every time I want to report one, I've got to go searching.
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Bruce wrote:How about sticky-ing the "New Kind of Spam" thread? Every time I want to report one, I've got to go searching.
Maybe we should even sticky this thread....people might want to update stuff later....
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

By the way, I am currently focusing intently on getting SucculentGuide.com up and running. As with CactiGuide.com, it is a never-ending project, but the foundational information and pages on nomenclature, introduction to succulents, etc. needs to be written.

Currently, there are over 1000 species listed and over 3000 images, but there is about that many more that will be listed there soon.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

:shock: Wow,that's a lot of plants to put on one site....
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

hey daiv i got this idea, maybe you should add a chat room i think it would be kinda cool just an idea though :D
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
apfire

Post by apfire »

I would love having RSS feeding for this site. No mater what, I feel you have the best cactus forum in the world!!! I visit this site multiple times a day.

I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Thanks guys. Updating the forum version is definitely the next step. The new version has many features and functions built in that will make for a better experience overall.

Thanks in part to the feedback here, I'm getting pretty serious about stating that process. It won't be fun and so it helps to have the extra motivation.

Daiv