2012 British National Show and other cacti expeditions

Post links, info, news, etc. regarding local and national cactus clubs and societies
cactihunter

2012 British National Show and other cacti expeditions

Post by cactihunter »

So having persuaded the better half to accompany me for a weekend away in Cambridge, it appears (what a coincidence :wink:) that we will be staying near to the upcoming National Show! \:D/ Anyone else attending? Anyone not in Britain intending to go? It gives me about 7 months to save up :lol: From the photos on the BCSS website it looks like it was really busy in 2008 and I am really looking forward to it.

We are also due to go to the Costa Blanca for two weeks in July and I am intending to try to visit

http://www.cactusdalgar.com/principal.htm

The photos look awesome and with the size of it, it should keep the whole family entertained until its time for a late afternoon sangria. Anyone been? Any thoughts? Any other suggestions for gardens near Valencia, always up for a day trip :lol:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
hob

Post by hob »

not sure if i will go this year.............

photo's of the last one here..........

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z279 ... ?start=all
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Sulcofan

Post by Sulcofan »

I visited Cactus D'Algar about 5 years ago. Certainly worth a visit. Hundreds of large Echinocactus grusonii bedded out like turnips! Some areas were still to mature but I guess by now, the whole place will be looking good. Lovely countryside in the drive there.
phil_SK

Re: 2012 British National Show and other cacti expeditions

Post by phil_SK »

For any UK forumites, here's a quick reminder that the British Cactus and Succulent Society National Show is less than 3 weeks away. On Saturday 18th August, growers from across the UK will gather in Godmanchester, Cambs., to exhibit their plants and/or admire others' exhibits. In addition, there will be plant sales from nurseries, both in the UK and abroad, plus some amateur collector-sellers. This event happens but once every 4 years and I believe (I've never been before - I'm going for the first time this year) that it's worth waiting for.

The event is held at the Wood Green Animal shelter just off the main A14 south of Godmanchester - PE29 2NH. The show opens for plant sales at 9am and the show area is open (after judging has taken place) at 11:30. Entry to the event is £5 (Junior BCSS members and anyone exhibiting get in for free). Parking is free.

In addition to Hob's album above, you can see how the 2008 show was reported in the BCSS's journal, CactusWorld, here: http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1nvvi/ ... efid=52427.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: 2012 British National Show and other cacti expeditions

Post by daiv »

Have a good time there everyone!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti