Forum Update About to Happen

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

Re: Forum Update About to Happen

Post by daiv »

CaesiumFluoride wrote:Everything is updated bar the annoying forum layout!!
That isn't very helpful, could you be more specific? Do you mean the disjointed header at the top or something else?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Melt In The Sun

Post by Melt In The Sun »

I think it's a bit odd to have the avatars and other info on the right side of the page. Never seen another forum with that layout, and it's jarring to my delicate eyes :D I'm sure I can get used to it.

Will there be a "quick reply" option at the bottom of the page, as in some other forums?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Danny,
I struggled with the right-hand user info, but it has started to grow on me... we cactus growers are mavericks anyway right? :P

Quick reply is definitely available.
Tiggy

Re:I can't see images displayed

Post by Tiggy »

This is all getting far too technical for me :sad10: :confused1: :confused2: Wake me up when it's all sorted and put into English :sleepy5: [imgimg][/img]
WOW!!! Just thought I'd have a play to see what happened if I tried to upload a picture, and guess what IT WORKED!!! :hello1: :hello1: :hello1Not that the picture has anything to do with cacti or succulents, it's hubby taking his daily excercise with Josi the goat. I just plucked it out at random.
Susi FUI! Somehow this has ended up on the wrong page, should be on, "I can't see images displayed"
Attachments
Enrico and Josie 03 01 2012 (3).JPG
Last edited by Tiggy on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

daiv wrote:
CaesiumFluoride wrote:Everything is updated bar the annoying forum layout!!
That isn't very helpful, could you be more specific? Do you mean the disjointed header at the top or something else?
Had to laugh at this, as my Automatic Editor kicked in when I read the sentence. I think this is a case of a missing comma. Try it this way: "Everything is updated, bar the annoying forum layout!!"
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
majcka

Post by majcka »

That's what is written on the top of my monitor: "You are using an out of date browser. As a result of this, the board may not display properly; please consider upgrading your browser." What exactly does it mean? Which version of IE should I have?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

bruno

Post by bruno »

Quite a move, great job Daiv!
I see the forums working great even from my tablet, is the new software supporting android?
Ciao :)
bruno
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

majcka wrote:Which version of IE should I have?

Firefox! :P :P

Seriously, the whole forum is disjointed as we're trying to get the style to match with the rest of the site - at least to a certain degree. Once that is done we'll explore all the settings and make sure everyone is up to speed.
majcka

Post by majcka »

daiv wrote:
majcka wrote:Which version of IE should I have?
Firefox! :P :P
Seriously, the whole forum is disjointed as we're trying to get the style to match with the rest of the site - at least to a certain degree. Once that is done we'll explore all the settings and make sure everyone is up to speed.
Thanks Daiv. I think I'll stay with my current version of IE. I'm used to it and I didn't like the Firefox when I had one anyway. [-X

So I'll just ignore the upper line. [-(
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

John C

Post by John C »

At first I didn't like the avatars on the right, but now that I have used it for a day, I think it might be better that way. It is less distracting having it off to the right side, I pay more attention to the contents of the persons post, and less attention to the not so necessary info in the avatar section. That's just my opinion though.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

It's coming together. Daiv, feel free to replace your logo with the attached. My version is a transparent GIF, and should look a little better.
Attachments
CG.gif
CG.gif (4.51 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Everything's looking good in IE9. :)

For those wanting to change their profiles, click on User Control Panel. That will take you to your settings, PMs, etc.

Daiv, once you've got the images sorted out, is there any chance of activating the code to embed YouTube videos? I think that's available in the newer versions of this forum software.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Indeed, starting to look/feel pretty darn tight now!
cactihunter

Post by cactihunter »

Daiv, I cannot begin to imagine how much hard work goes into running this site, just day to day nevermind such a huge update as this :shock: . IMHO the update is great, the forum looks and feels much cleaner and easier to use. =D> Well done Daiv, thanks very much and keep up the good work, it is very much appreciated!!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
hoteidoc

Re: Forum Update

Post by hoteidoc »

Amen! =D> 8)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!