Forum Update About to Happen

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Thord Hakansson

Re: Forum Update About to Happen

Post by Thord Hakansson »

I got the same message as majcka,was a bit confused at first but then ignored it and now everything works super. Very well done! :cheers:
growing allkinds of smallgrowing cacti in the north of europe
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I am sorta not liking the way how the pictures are really small. I kinda wish they would be bigger so I dont have to strain my eyes to see the pictures. If I click on them they get bigger but are still small and there isn't an easy way to get back to the forum form the bigger picture. if you hit back on the broswer it takes you to the first page of the website (out of the forums section and to Home) is there a shortcut to get back?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:I am sorta not liking the way how the pictures are really small. I kinda wish they would be bigger so I dont have to strain my eyes to see the pictures. If I click on them they get bigger but are still small and there isn't an easy way to get back to the forum form the bigger picture. if you hit back on the broswer it takes you to the first page of the website (out of the forums section and to Home) is there a shortcut to get back?
Try clicking on this picture. I wonder if the back arrow is a function of the browser being used (in Chrome it takes me right back to where I was) or if it has to do with how the picture was inserted. When I click here I go back to my message, but if I randomly select pictures in other threads (/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24179) I go back to the page from which I accessed the thread (/forum/viewforum.php?f=2)

Whatever, we are getting a bunch of new and fun things to do!
BOGEY.JPG
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

testing image size
testing image size
2011-07-25_matudae.jpg (122.95 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Hi Y'all. I intend to have the pictures within the forum set to 600 px. at least - like they were before. - Maybe we can go bigger.

I also don't like that clicking the image takes you to a new page instead of just a popup with the picture.

Will be changing these settings soon - hopefully. The biggest issue is the old pictures not displaying. This is still priority numero uno right now, but will add things as we go...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

The pop up works fine, the problem was where you end up when you leave the pop-up.

I think of it as an adventure!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Here is another transparent GIF forum logo, you can try with a green background, just for kicks.
Attachments
CG2.gif
CG2.gif (3.26 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Harriet, I get great! blow-ups, but yes, then tells Web expired & can't move out! Also "links" (for me) don't activate. But pix are HUGH! :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Logo looks much better today. :) However, now the User Control Panel, Advanced Search, etc. are slightly overlapping the main forum buttons. I'm using IE9. Just informing, not demanding -- I know the images are priority. :)

I didn't have any trouble getting back to where I'd been before when I clicked on an image. For those that are having that trouble, that's easily bypassed by right-clicking on the image and then opening it in a new window or tab.

One thing about the images that I'm hating is that large images, such as Daiv's monster Mamm above, have their own scroll bar within the post and I have to scroll the see the image bits at a time. There doesn't seem to be a way to see the entire image at once. For reference, I'm using IE9 on 14.1" laptop screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
hob

Post by hob »

as far as i can see in firefox all it needs now is to increase the height of the header ?
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

CelticRose wrote: One thing about the images that I'm hating is that large images, such as Daiv's monster Mamm above, have their own scroll bar within the post and I have to scroll the see the image bits at a time. There doesn't seem to be a way to see the entire image at once. For reference, I'm using IE9 on 14.1" laptop screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800.
If you do a single left-click on it, it should show the full image within the post, no?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

GermanStar wrote:Here is another transparent GIF forum logo, you can try with a green background, just for kicks.
Hey Ron thanks - the logo I switched to above is actually a .png -24 as these handle transparency better than a gif. (no artifacts in the corners)

After much monkey-business, I contacted the guy that built the theme and am going to get him to help customize it so that it looks right and works in all browsers. There are just too many variables. Change one element and that is fine, but then the next thing goes out of whack.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

daiv wrote:
GermanStar wrote:Here is another transparent GIF forum logo, you can try with a green background, just for kicks.
Hey Ron thanks - the logo I switched to above is actually a .png -24 as these handle transparency better than a gif. (no artifacts in the corners)

After much monkey-business, I contacted the guy that built the theme and am going to get him to help customize it so that it looks right and works in all browsers. There are just too many variables. Change one element and that is fine, but then the next thing goes out of whack.
Good idea, what you describe shouldn't happen, I would characterize it as a design flaw of the theme, so let the theme designer fix it. It's amazing, but the site looks completely different right now in IE and Firefox. The general IE look is better, IMHO, though the header isn't quite right. The overall Firefox look seems a bit stark.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
hob

Post by hob »

Daiv were you in here at about 11.20 am (or about 3.20 am your time) if not someone using your login was trying to fix some things

more images seem to be showing up now but some are still missing.
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

daiv wrote:
CelticRose wrote: One thing about the images that I'm hating is that large images, such as Daiv's monster Mamm above, have their own scroll bar within the post and I have to scroll the see the image bits at a time. There doesn't seem to be a way to see the entire image at once. For reference, I'm using IE9 on 14.1" laptop screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800.
If you do a single left-click on it, it should show the full image within the post, no?
So it does. Not very intuitive, but, hey, at least it works.

The header looks great in IE9 now.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

btw I finally figured out that it was opening a new window when I clicked on a picture.

I also am a little disappointed when I want to go back to a forum section or something it lags and wont open up as quickly. Guess more stuff= longer wait due to more data... Technology.
(FYI whatever Daiv did to the pictures is much better)
Thanks.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.