TimN 2012 Photo Topic

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
TimN

Re: TimN 2012 Photo Topic

Post by TimN »

But, wait, there's more.

Someone asked about corking on L. williamsii, Here's some corking on one of my plants, plus a glamour show with flowers.
L williiamsii.jpg
L williiamsii.jpg (127.35 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
L williiamsii b.jpg
L williiamsii b.jpg (119.44 KiB) Viewed 5489 times

Mammillaria albiflora
M albiflora a.jpg
M albiflora a.jpg (103.33 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
M. humboldtii
M humboldtii.jpg
M humboldtii.jpg (113.14 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
M. lasaiscantha
M lasaiscantha.jpg
M lasaiscantha.jpg (107.69 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
M. pectinifera
M pectinifera.jpg
M pectinifera.jpg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
And some M. pectinifera seedlings sowed in January.
M pectinifera seedlings.jpg
M pectinifera seedlings.jpg (96.58 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Peniocereus greggii has always come up from seed quite well for me. Also sowed in January.
P greggii seedlings.jpg
P greggii seedlings.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
This was sold to me as Strombocactus disciformus caespitose. Time will tell. There appear to be offsets forming on most of the arioles.
S disciformis.jpg
S disciformis.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
That's all for now.
Last edited by TimN on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

:thumbup: You have some spectacular plants, great Aztekium hintoni. How often do you water the ariocarpus cacti.
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Tim,

I love that Turbinicarpus alonsoi in bloom. I do have one of those, but it is still rather small, although I have had it for five years or so. Last year it did try to flower in July, but I never saw the blossom fully open. I did place that small plant into a bowl-type pot early this year. Perhaps that is why it did not even try to bloom this year. Perhaps next year? :)
I also admire your Leuchtenbergia principis cacti. My plants have been in the ground. The first one did not grow much, then decided to split into several smaller plants, which subsequently died. I purchased another L. principis and that plant also just sits there. I have yet to see a flower develop.
Am I doing something wrong? Is there a "trick" to grow this cactus. Maybe it does not receive enough sunlight?
My Ariocarpus fissuratus plants are finally producing flower, all seven of them. I also do have two seedling plants, which may be big enough to bloom next year. None of my A. trigonus and retusus plants have flowered yet. They are now also in pots, except for a flowering-size A. retusus ssp. confuses (which should be blooming for the first time in a week or two) and a hybrid A. retusus x agavoides, which is flowering right now. I hope to be able to post an image tomorrow.

Harald
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thanks Harald,

The only trick I've found for L. principis has been that it needs plenty of water in order to flower. I seldom keep mine wet enough to get flowers via my normal watering scheme. I got some rain shortly after I watered a few weeks ago and that was enough to get some flowers. I get buds, but they usually dry up before opening if there isn't water. I got lucky this year.

My mother has one in the ground that is doing quite well and flowers if she keeps it watered. It's near a plant she waters frequently (an Ocotillo) so it gets more water than most of her gardens.

That's been my experience.

As far as Ariocarpus, it seems like A. fissuratus flowers much younger than A. retusus. I just got an A. trigonus this summer and it has remnants of flowers but nothing this year. I'll repot and hopefully next year we'll have some.

It seems like A. agavoides flowers very young also, as does A. kotchoubeyanus.

Definitely post a picture of your agavoides/retusus mix. I'm very curious!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you very much for the information about the Leuchtenbergia principis cactus cultivation. Most likely, I did not provide enough water to my plant(s), both the one that died and the one which is still surviving. Because I have lost several cacti to root rot, I have been kind of stingy with the watering. I am even kind of surprised, that my Ariocarpus retusus x agavoides (picture of flowering plant last year attached) and the Ariocarpus retusus ssp. confuses have not died yet, despite receiving a little bit of water every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday of the week by my spot spitters of the self-installed irrigation system. Those plants are not even planted in the very coarse growing medium, which I have used for my potted cacti.
Well, A. retusus and trigonus cacti, and perhaps also A. fissuratus are not quite as root rot prone as some other members of that genus. :)

Harald
A_retusus x agavoides9.JPG
A_retusus x agavoides9.JPG (113.85 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

That L. w. is great! Does the flower stay white on the second or third day? I have a similar one (much, much smaller) that produces the witish flower but will turn pink as it get older
Alejandro
bartab

Post by bartab »

Would love to have one of those, but probably impossible in California. Arrrrghh..
TimN

Post by TimN »

bartab wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:39 am Would love to have one of those, but probably impossible in California. Arrrrghh..
More possible than you think. Send me a pm.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

More fall flowers!

Ariocarpus bravoanus getting ready! L. williamsii horning in on the photo.
A bravoanus bud.jpg
A bravoanus bud.jpg (133.49 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

A. bravoanus - opened a couple of days later. L. willy is one of many that pop up everywhere.
A bravoanus flower.jpg
A bravoanus flower.jpg (109.52 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

A tiny A. hintonii
A hintonii.jpg
A hintonii.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Big pile of A. kotschoubeyanus. It started with 5 plants and expanded. I took about a dozen seedlings out, as well.
A kotschoubeyanus a.jpg
A kotschoubeyanus a.jpg (129.38 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Getting ready for the show! The macro lens does good job occasionally...
A kotschoubeyanus b.jpg
A kotschoubeyanus b.jpg (124.6 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

This is the elephantidens ssp (depending on who's books you believe)
A kotschoubeyanus c.jpg
A kotschoubeyanus c.jpg (107.29 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Another one?
A kotschoubeyanus d.jpg
A kotschoubeyanus d.jpg (100.28 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

This gnarly little thing has grown very winkled. It has an offset which is going to have a flower too. Bad macro!
A kotschoubeyanus e.jpg
A kotschoubeyanus e.jpg (128.55 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

A. lloydii. You thought I was going to say kotschoubeyanus, didn't you?
A lloydii.jpg
A lloydii.jpg (102.22 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

A, scaphirostrus
A scaphirostrus b.jpg
A scaphirostrus b.jpg (103.09 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Same one, different day.
A scaphirostrus.jpg
A scaphirostrus.jpg (112.42 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Fall flowers from a Mammillaria
M nejapensis.jpg
M nejapensis.jpg (142.15 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

M. pettersonii - it's going to divide into 5 heads any day now.
M pettersonii.jpg
M pettersonii.jpg (159.38 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Stapelia gigantea buds. One was open last night, but the bouquet was sub par.
S gigantea buds.jpg
S gigantea buds.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Some Stapelia, no bouquet, but it makes a lot of flowers.
Stapelia flowers.jpg
Stapelia flowers.jpg (140.01 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
That's all for today!

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

This guy opened last weekend...
S gigantea.jpg
S gigantea.jpg (156.51 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
The first one didn't have much of an aroma, this one was a real favorite of the Musca community.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

A few pictures from Sunday...

A. agavoides with 8 buds. This plant has always been a stunner. More pictures to come.
A agavoides buds.jpg
A agavoides buds.jpg (106.96 KiB) Viewed 5267 times

A. kotshoubeyanus sneaking up on flowering. All but two of the plants in this planter have buds.
A kotchoubeyanus bods.jpg
A kotchoubeyanus bods.jpg (139.45 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
A. retusus has always been stingy with flowers.
A retusus.jpg
A retusus.jpg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
One of the A. agavoides will have flowers tomorrow.

Tim
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Tim,

it looks like you are very experienced growing Ariocarpus spp. plants. Do you do anything special to have all those "baby plants", i.e. do you collect the seed or does the seed drop out of the crown of the mother plant and germinate without you having much of an impact?
I had been waiting for the first blossom bud on my Ariocarpus retusus ssp. confuses to open, but I may be disappointed. We are expecting an early frost tonight. It should be 29 to 30 degrees F. After this week is over, our temperature will go up to about normal, with no frost forecast.
Perhaps my Ariocarpus will shrug the light freeze off and still flower in a week or so. The flower bud is not close to opening and may be a little better protected than one that was going to open tomorrow.

Harald
TimN

Post by TimN »

Hello Hagar,

Thanks, Hegar, I have been far more successful at passive propagation exactly as you describe; I stand around and try not to get in the way. This has worked really well for Ariocarpus, Lophophora, and Turbinicarpus. I have dozens of seedlings from this strategy. I've had some luck with other species as well but those are the big three.

I'm working on getting g better at purposeful propagation. Time will tell.

I've not had problems with cold and Ariocarpus. But, I'd probably throw a towel over a budding/flowering plant overnight. Just so it's not open to the sky at the coldest.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

Ariocarpus flowers from a few days ago.

Ariocarpus agavoides. The flowers on this plant have been much bigger in the past. There are 8 flowers so I guess I'll be fine.
A agavoides 2.jpg
A agavoides 2.jpg (139.68 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
A. agavoides line-up. The two in front are volunteers and the two in back are the original plants.
A agavoides.jpg
A agavoides.jpg (109.68 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
A. kotchoubeyanus - all the plants in this planter are flowering this year. I guess the small ones got caught up in the excitement.
A kotchoubeyanus.jpg
A kotchoubeyanus.jpg (138.99 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
A. retusus getting ready. It's got open flowers on it as I type this - completely white.
A retusus.jpg
A retusus.jpg (110.08 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
Mammillaria nejapensis with lots of fall flowers. If you look closely you can see light colored patches low on the plant. That is what's left of a rust attack last spring.
M nejapensis.jpg
M nejapensis.jpg (145.34 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
Turbinicarpus gracilis. I've had these plants for over 10 years. They make lots of flowers and seeds and volunteers.
T gracilis.jpg
T gracilis.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
This is a Turbinicarpus NOID. I don't have anything that looks like this. It's got the body sort of like T. lophophroides and not the typical Turbi spines.
T NOID.jpg
T NOID.jpg (96.61 KiB) Viewed 5022 times

Tim
Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Very good looking collection Tim. Those Ariocarpus flowers are absolutely beautiful.