John C's 2012 Outdoor Cacti - Garden Reconstruction - DONE!

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
John C

Re: John C's 2012 Outdoor Cacti - Garden Reconstruction - DO

Post by John C »

sundanz wrote:Very nice ,John!! I might get inspired to start a cactus garden in my yard next year. If I need advice I might ask you for some helpful hints if you don't mind? :)
It sure looks like you have a green thumb.... =D>

Karin
Thanks for the kind words Karin! Go for it! I would definitely be happy to help give advice. Maybe even send you a few cuttings/plants to get you started next year if you want.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Thank you, John!! I will certainly keep that in mind when I start my garden!
Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
John C

Post by John C »

Here is a progression of photos showing the leaf growth on our Fouquieria splendens (Ocotillo). The photos are taken over approximately a week - starting at the beginning of October 2012. They may or may not be in order ;)

The weather has been really strange. We have had normal temps (80f's-90f's in the day and 60f's at night), then we got a weekend filled with chilly rain (That sparked the ocotillo to grow leaves). After that weekend it was more normal. Then this past weekend (October 6 and 7) we had another huge cold front come through and it was cloudy and ridiculously cold all weekend. We broke and tied a number of records for lows and the lowest high temperature. It was terrible! We got into the 40's a couple nights and then 36f Sunday night - FAR below average! I don't like December/January temps in October :| Now we are warming up again to normal temps. Strange!

-----

Neat plant!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"