John C's 2012 Outdoor Cacti - Garden Reconstruction - DONE!

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: John C's 2012 Outdoor Cacti - Garden Reconstruction - DO

Post by daiv »

Interesting use of the larger rocks to the one side around the Ocotillo. At first I didn't like it, but after you added the other rocks that seem to scatter away from the higher concentration, it gives an impression of an old wash out or rock slide along a slope. In the end it really adds a lot of interest to the garden. It will be nice as the plants fill out now.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:Interesting use of the larger rocks to the one side around the Ocotillo. At first I didn't like it, but after you added the other rocks that seem to scatter away from the higher concentration, it gives an impression of an old wash out or rock slide along a slope. In the end it really adds a lot of interest to the garden. It will be nice as the plants fill out now.
I agree. I did not intend to keep the rocks there, but after I got started I decided I liked it. My problem was getting it to transition from dense rounded rocks to sparse jagged rocks. It certainly isn't perfect, but it will do. I also tried to keep the area immediately around the Ocotillo and near the dense round rocks to Chihuahuan Desert species. I am hoping everything will really come together when the plants grow a little.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Rock gardens are hard. Especially in my area where all the "rocks" come in the form of sand! What happens to me is that if I try to place the rocks where I think they should go, they look too unnatural. So I have taken a different approach... I place the big heavy ones, then just toss or dump in the medium sized ones in the general area I want them. Then mostly let them stay there. After all, rocks in nature seem to come from lava flows or push up from the ground, chip and fall off older rocks, or wash down rivers. With randomness like that, there is no way a human can easily place each individual rock in a garden to make it look the same.

My favorite part of making a rock garden (other than the plants) is adding the "mulch". In my garden that is really small gravel on top of crushed coquina. The top dressing is what pulls it all together, and once the big rocks are partially buried in it, they start to look more like they belong there.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
John C

Post by John C »

Harriet wrote:Rock gardens are hard. Especially in my area where all the "rocks" come in the form of sand! What happens to me is that if I try to place the rocks where I think they should go, they look too unnatural. So I have taken a different approach... I place the big heavy ones, then just toss or dump in the medium sized ones in the general area I want them. Then mostly let them stay there. After all, rocks in nature seem to come from lava flows or push up from the ground, chip and fall off older rocks, or wash down rivers. With randomness like that, there is no way a human can easily place each individual rock in a garden to make it look the same.

My favorite part of making a rock garden (other than the plants) is adding the "mulch". In my garden that is really small gravel on top of crushed coquina. The top dressing is what pulls it all together, and once the big rocks are partially buried in it, they start to look more like they belong there.

You said it! There is nearly no way to replicate nature. I just tried the best I could. I'd say you have a good approach!

Nature does a better job at landscaping than I can do - for sure! :lol:
"Where the West begins"
majcka

Post by majcka »

John C wrote:
Harriet wrote:Rock gardens are hard. Especially in my area where all the "rocks" come in the form of sand! What happens to me is that if I try to place the rocks where I think they should go, they look too unnatural. So I have taken a different approach... I place the big heavy ones, then just toss or dump in the medium sized ones in the general area I want them. Then mostly let them stay there. After all, rocks in nature seem to come from lava flows or push up from the ground, chip and fall off older rocks, or wash down rivers. With randomness like that, there is no way a human can easily place each individual rock in a garden to make it look the same.

You said it! There is nearly no way to replicate nature. I just tried the best I could. I'd say you have a good approach!

You two are NOT fair. :( [-X No rock garedn with cacti I can put together looks natural. It just couldn't in this part of the world. ](*,) So if it looks unnatural because of cacti...it sure can't hurt if it looks unnatural because of that rocks in it. [-(

There. I said it. :D
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

John C

Post by John C »

majcka wrote:
John C wrote:

You two are NOT fair. :( [-X No rock garedn with cacti I can put together looks natural. It just couldn't in this part of the world. ](*,) So if it looks unnatural because of cacti...it sure can't hurt if it looks unnatural because of that rocks in it. [-(

There. I said it. :D

:lol: Good point!
"Where the West begins"
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

We do not have many cacti in Florida, and fewer rocks, so no rock garden with desert cacti is going to look "natural" here. It is just not going to happen.

In my opinion, making the basic structure of the garden look as natural (and good) as possible is the best way to go. That way, if all my cacti die, then I can replace them with plants that may be better suited to my environment, and still have a nice looking rock garden. It is the "Garbage In Garbage Out" philosophy of landscape design... Or maybe it is just the lazy gardener in me... there is NO WAY I'm going to move those rocks again! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

it looks nice John. BTW did you ever figure out what those seedlings were on page one? lol
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
John C

Post by John C »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:it looks nice John. BTW did you ever figure out what those seedlings were on page one? lol
Thanks! If they are the same ones I am thinking of, it looks like they are Escobaria vivipara. That would make sense because I had two adult plants that were pollinated frequently and the seed pods were nearly always gone before I could get to them (Probably birds). I have about 15 of those seedlings spread out between two pots and the garden (I planted many of the seedlings in pots during the reconstruction). Since the reconstruction I am noticing more popping up. I guess when I temporarily removed the gravel on top, I positioned the mysterious seeds in the appropriate spots for germination when I replaced it. I also have many Opuntia seedlings in my garden from my Opuntia plants.

I like volunteers! :)
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

On August 28, 2012, my "Texas Sage" (Leucophyllum frutescens) turned from its usual silvery/blue/green leaf color to pure purple. I think this was it's best show yet! 8) These photos do not do it justice, it was a real eye-catcher for a couple of days!

The event attracted huge amount of pollinators (Nearly all bees). It was neat to sit next to the plant and watch, probably, hundreds of bees flying in and out. All were totally covered in pollen. It sounded like I was in a swarm of bees - the whole bush buzzed.

On a side note, earlier this year when my Yucca pallida flowered, something must have pollinated one flower because I had one seed pod. I had been waiting a long time for it to mature and I wanted to catch it before it opened or fell off. Finally the wait is over! I have all of the seeds from that one pod. :D

"Where the West begins"
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice! Looks like a purple bush in the first picture :shock: .
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks! It sure did!
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You garden is really nice John. I imagine winding down now, but should really grow this spring.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:You garden is really nice John. I imagine winding down now, but should really grow this spring.
Thanks, Daiv! We still have about 2 more months of growing season here, but (With the exception of the Leucophyllum) everything should be done flowering. It's been in the mid-90f's most days recently. However, I don't expect any real excitement in the garden until next spring.
"Where the West begins"
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Very nice ,John!! I might get inspired to start a cactus garden in my yard next year. If I need advice I might ask you for some helpful hints if you don't mind? :)
It sure looks like you have a green thumb.... =D>

Karin
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!